• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing carpet

atreyuBLUEXJ

NAXJA Forum User
anyone got a quick summary on how to remove it?
do i take the seats out?
do i have to take the center console out?

all seats out.
rear tire mount
centre console

just did all of this yesterday. just be ready for the rust :tears:

my carpet was nice and dry, but the padding underneath was soaked.

x3
be ready to see rust
I ended up cleaning my floors up and puting down herculiner. Then cuting my carpet into section so they could easily be removed when i went wheeling

I found the carpet easier to remove by all of the above and taking the plastic door sill covers off. This was on a 97 so I don't know if that makes a difference.

klonestar said:
And cutting around the tie down rings in the cargo area or drilling out the rivets to remove the rings.

Becareful if you drill out the rivets.....the gas tank is just below...

atreyuBLUEXJ said:
damn.
i want to do some kind of liner on it, everyone suggest herculiner?
I don't. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just not my preference. I'll be pulling my carpet soon and instead of Herculiner, I'm just going to prep and seal it with some type of rust inhibitor and then paint it black. After that I'm putting in vinyl carpet to dull the sound and keep it from getting so hot. FYI, vinyl carpet is waterproof. That's why I'll be using it.

jeep_87_cherokee said:
is there any DIY roll on kit that anyone would suggest and how much rhino liner cost ?
If you're talking about Herculiner, AutoZone or any other parts store sells a kit that includes the liner, a roller, roller pan, and some other items. If you want to have it Rhino lined that'll cost you much, much more. Take the time and do it yourself.

Starscream918 said:
If you're talking about Herculiner, AutoZone or any other parts store sells a kit that includes the liner, a roller, roller pan, and some other items. If you want to have it Rhino lined that'll cost you much, much more. Take the time and do it yourself.

Yes, but BE CAREFUL. Those fumes are nasty. Just got thru Hurc-ing the bottom of my XJ. Fumes were bad, bad, bad-even with it outside and a fan blowing underneath.

For the interior, I'm thinking of some sort of insulative sandwich since it gets cold where I live and camp. From bottom up I'm thinking:

1. Herculiner
2. 3/4 Foil Backed Foam
3. Bitchuthane (20 mil sticky rubber stuff used on foundations)
4. Some sort of synthetic waterproof carpet or linolium (you can heat and shape lino)

Figured I put a couple of drain "corks" in as well.

Anyone done anything like this?

Nevada City Sparky said:
Yes, but BE CAREFUL. Those fumes are nasty. Just got thru Hurc-ing the bottom of my XJ. Fumes were bad, bad, bad-even with it outside and a fan blowing underneath.

Even with a gas mask on the whole time I Herculined, the day after I was in school, I could tell I was acting all strange, I felt weird, and my friends kept asking if I was on crack.

I have taken my carpet out twice, It was a b*tch both times. I wish I would have known about Herculiner when I took it out the first time, would have saved me a ton of time.

im planning on doing this and puttin in my own plugs but iv heard theres allready holes drilled when you pull the carpet? has anyone thats done this seen any stock plugs?

depends on year I believe... my 99 and buddies 99 both have them, but a buddies older model does not... as for lining the floor... LineX is REALLY tough stuff, but it will cost you, but is well worth it

Edit: I called that buddy and had him check and he does have them, so as far as I know all XJs have em

Last edited:
XJhabitat said:
im planning on doing this and puttin in my own plugs but iv heard theres allready holes drilled when you pull the carpet? has anyone thats done this seen any stock plugs?

Yes, they are on the floor in front of the rear seats. Also two small ones under the rear seats. They are hardly waterproof and are more like clip-in plates. I'm thinking of bildge fittings in their place.

I just ripped out my cargo-area carpet ('99), and there are four actual rubber plugs there. Not sure about the rest of the Jeep--haven't gotten "approval" for that yet.

Back