• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Hinge Adjustable??

mg614

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know if you can adjust the door at the hinge? My rear drivers side door doesn't look quite "flush" and now the front edge is starting to catch on the rear edge of the front door. Makes it hard to open without opening the front door first. (and the paint is chipping)
thanks for any suggestions. 2000 Limited

yes they are adj. I forget the #torx bit required to do it. the front can be a pia since access to is impeeded by the front fenders. Just remembe to loosen one hing at a time and make your adj. you may have to reset the other to get it back to allignment as setrting one may effect the other. on a side note, there are also shims between the hinge and the door. these are used to move the door forward or backward. Also you can make adj with the latch post but that will only affect the rear ward portion of the door ie the latch and cause it to set in or out from the b/c pillars.

Thanks! I'll have to pick up a set or Torx wrenches. Hopefully I can get it to line back up. I really just need to adjust the front edge of the rear door so hopefully I can do it at the hinges. Man these doors fit tight don't they?

You should be able to do this just by loosening the torx bolts and moving the leading edge of the door in and out. Moving it in should stop it from hitting the front door. Make sure you don't let it sag when you loosen it. The door can move up and down as well. The shims determine the width of the gap between the two doors, and also how level the door hangs before the latch engages. Unless something has bent, or your hinge pins are badly worn, you shouldn't need to deal with the shims.

That's what I was looking for. Will I have to loosen the Torx bolts at both hinges to move just one or can I get away with only adjusting the bottom hinge? Probably have to loosen both...but thanks for the reply. I'll try to "shim" the bottom of the door to avoid the "sag". Thanks again

Hello, i'm from Argentina and have the same problem with door aligment. The porblem is that i can't get the shims. Can somebody give me the dimensions of the shims? Tanks.

All of the doors should already have one shim on each hinge (some may have more, or some may have none, but there should be some). Just loosen the hardware on one of the hinges and pull the shim out, then you can make copies

All of the doors should already have one shim on each hinge (some may have more, or some may have none, but there should be some). Just loosen the hardware on one of the hinges and pull the shim out, then you can make copies

Yep.

There was a template/drawing with measurements out there somewhere but I don't seem to have it bookmarked anymore.

Back