• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stearing Issues

almondjoy137

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. I am looking at a new 2000 XJ to add to the collection that is rediculously cheap. Its got a 5.5" on 33's but when I test drove it the steering was really sketchy. I assumed it was an alignment problem or it needed a steering stabilizer, but when I asked the guy about it he said that all lifted XJ's have weird handling...and its weird alright, like when you hit a bump it jumps from side to side. just wondering if that is for real because i thought he was full of it. any advice???

almondjoy137 said:
Hey guys. I am looking at a new 2000 XJ to add to the collection that is rediculously cheap. Its got a 5.5" on 33's but when I test drove it the steering was really sketchy. I assumed it was an alignment problem or it needed a steering stabilizer, but when I asked the guy about it he said that all lifted XJ's have weird handling...and its weird alright, like when you hit a bump it jumps from side to side. just wondering if that is for real because i thought he was full of it. any advice???
Mines a 2k w/ 6" lift,drives better than stock.Probably not done right or alot of worn parts.At that lift good components(and the right ones:re DB's) are a must.

agreed. I replaced my steering and trackbar bushings, and at 7" of lift, I can run 80 mph down the highway and it tracks strait and easy. Doesnt jump around, no bumpsteer..

well its a skyjacker lift and i was searching through some other posts and found that maybe its a SYE that i need...dont know if it has one...or replacing the track bar. I dunno, im gonna take it to a garage to get it checked out and i might take it to the local offroad shop to get them to take a look too...

SYE wouldnt affect the steering. If it doesnt have one, and it looks abused, dont buy it. buy a cherokee and start a nice project

Hopefully it has to be just a steering issue as you said maybe the steering stabilizer or track bar, alignment, ball joints, bushings, wheel balance or whatever. Doesn't sound major. I do believe he is full of it but if she's a steal and the rest is in good condition I would have a mech check it over mechanically and call it even. Worst case scenario, you buy it, she runs good but you have to dump a few hunny on the problem and get out of it if more problems arise at even or a little ahead if it is such a deal you cannot pass up? Good luck!

im in charlottesville, where abouts are you? give us some pics of the rig, and check on that sye.

almondjoy137 said:

do you have the financial freedom to buy it and garage it until you can diagnose and fix the problem or will it be an immediate DD? If you've got a little cash and some time, grab it... if it's side to side problem, I am venturing to guess it has to do with the trac bar and if that wasn't the original problem, it has become one. Get yourself an adjustable trac bar and HD bracket to go along with it. Pick up a good steering setup... I believe searchers makes a nice one, and check your ball joints as been stated before.

I would vote for a bad track bar. If it has a skyjacker lift kit they should offer an optional track bar for it. Secondly, with that much lift a steering brace would probably be good upgrade.

yea i need to get some better pics of it..i have some but they are really small..ill look into an adjustable track bar and no i dont have much freedom to garage it cuz i need it as a daily driver as well as for a little fun in the middle but i'll check on some of the mods and i should be takin it to a mechanic a bit later in the week

When I first lifted mine 5.5" with an RE kit it did what you described. What ended up fixing it was the caster. I adjusted the lower adjustable control arms out a little farther and it drives perfect now.

you may need lots of parts and an alignment, but the "jump to the side" you described is a classic case of bump steer, usually caused by poor steering geometry.

too much toe out or even in will cause it to jump from side to side. I replaced all ball joints, and all tie rod parts on wife's XJ, set toe by sight to get to alignment shop, it would do that,actually wallow back and forth like a boat. It was toed out 3/16", caster and camber were within specs but the caster was barely there.

What kinda shape is it like under there?

My 89 had a new lift when I got it, but no one had touched the ball joints or unit bearings, let alone TREs. My track bar was fine, nut the Unit Bearings had 1/8" slop in them and were ready to go any minute. Jack it up with the wheels and suspension free and see what kinda wobble you have in the wheels.

Back