• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best SYE?

braeden

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 4.0 231 2-door cherokee. I have driven in for about a year now with 4.5 inches of lift and no SYE. TIme to get rid of the vibes. My question is if there are any meaningful differences between the commonly available SYE kits. I am looking at the RE, AA, and Teraflex kits. Is any one any better then the others? The RE is about $30 cheaper.

Do it once,do it right!AA's,JB's,PORC's.The benifits are much more than just about vibes.

And you get a rebuilt NP231 as part of the deal along the way (if you are smart)!

Doing my PORC now (again). I put the shift collar on backwards (Doh!). Read all the posts about making sure the shift ROD went on right. I paid attention to that, but missed the collar direction and <yank> it was too late.

One more time.....

I will, unfortunately be paying someone to install this for me. I just took a new job and am in the process of buying/furnishing a house, so the jeep gets a pro to work on her. I think the t-case is a little over my head anyway. I'm just wondering if there is any tangible difference that makes an AA any better than an RE. THis ? goes for DS's too. My local shop stocks RE, and I need it soon, but if TW is really that much better, I may order one.

Dont fool around with the hack and tap. AA is top notch, AA plus Tom Woods is even better. I went with PORC and a front drive shaft to save coin and couldnt be happier. Lots of wheeling trips, lots of rocks and lots of scratches on the drive shaft.

John

I think it depends on how hard or extreme you wheel. I have a 5.5 RE lift and did the Hack-N-Tap SYE from RE and it has worked completely fine. I go light mud-wheeling, on the sand dunes and two-tracking in the forest over logs and medium rocks and use it as a daily driver and it has not failed yet.

Ya'll didn't mention how many mile were on your rig. If its like mine, with 225K on the clock, the case needed a reseal at minimum. With that in mind, the PORC was the way to go (AA and J&B Conversions are the same unit AFAIK). Worth the ~$200 I paid and forced me to deal with squaring up the transfer case.

If your's is low milage, the Hack and Tap might get you by till its time to deal with a new chain or leaky seals (mine were pretty much shot).

PROJECT UPDATE: It wasn't the shift collar that was backwards, I tried to fit the oil pump INSIDE the case. It fit, but through off the gear tracking by 1/4". I knew I fubared somewhere. Next time I'll drink beer AFTER I get it apart and tagged and bagged

Back