• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Necessity of electrical 4wd indicator switch on NP231??

LocoJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang,

I am in the process of rebuilding a 96 XJ that was wrecked. Casing of the transfer case was cracked but the internals look okay. I have a 231 from an 89 and I know that won't swap in directly because of the difference in spline count.

However, I looked into swapping the cases and that seems like it would work. The only noticable difference between the two cases is the addition of the electrical 4wd indicator switch on top of the t-case near the shifter linkage. I was wondering how critical this switch was to the operation of the 4-wheel drive system??? With the front axle being non-vacuum ... i really wouldn't think that the switch would do anything other then turn on a nice little light on the dash telling me im in four wheel drive. Any thoughts? Do I need to drill and fit the switch in the older style case or can I just silicone the end of the connector and zip tie it out of the way??

God Bless,

Ben

LocoJeeper said:
Hey gang,

I am in the process of rebuilding a 96 XJ that was wrecked. Casing of the transfer case was cracked but the internals look okay. I have a 231 from an 89 and I know that won't swap in directly because of the difference in spline count.

However, I looked into swapping the cases and that seems like it would work. The only noticable difference between the two cases is the addition of the electrical 4wd indicator switch on top of the t-case near the shifter linkage. I was wondering how critical this switch was to the operation of the 4-wheel drive system??? With the front axle being non-vacuum ... i really wouldn't think that the switch would do anything other then turn on a nice little light on the dash telling me im in four wheel drive. Any thoughts? Do I need to drill and fit the switch in the older style case or can I just silicone the end of the connector and zip tie it out of the way??

God Bless,

Ben
Some 231's have that switch on the rear cover also. But I'm sure it's only for the light.

I got rid of my vacuum system on my 88, since then the light doesn't work anymore and 4WD works great in all modes, normally the indicator is only for the light, if you're switching in an old tcase, you shouldn't bother if the light doesn't come on.

Back