• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 brake bleeder screws same size front/rear? RE: Speed Bleeders

husker25

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I bought two pairs of Help! speed bleeders. Are the front and rear bleeder screws the same size. I figured with the disc/drum combo they'd be different. Through the searchs I've done it seems these little gizmos are the things to use.

The guy at Advanced Auto said "I'm sure they are the same" but didn't have the tools to look it up. I asked him if he'd ever owned a Jeep b/c you can never assume uniformity on an XJ.

Thanks

Search is your friend, the 7th result

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75968&highlight=speed+bleeders

I got them at my local auto franchise, they sell them in the "HELP" brand section, with the rest of the bleeder screws in that section. The "HELP" brand calls them "ONE MAN JOB, BLEEDER SCREWS". They only have them in the two most popular sizes, 3/8"X24X1.25" and 5/16"X24X1.00", which just happens to be the bleeder screw size for XJ, front and rear.

That was for my '95, perhaps they are different between the years, but most rear drum cylinders have smaller bleeder screws than the much larger front calipers.

Last edited:
Rick,
I did read your post on your '95 in the search forum last week. I wasn't sure to assume that your '95 and my '99 shared the same brake hardware.

New news:

Called the Jeep parts dept. and they told me that a '99 XJ has two different sizes of drum brakes--9" and 10". If I have 10" drums the bleeder screws are the same size as the front discs. If they are the 9" versions they are smaller than the front discs. FYI.

Back