• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ, All Around Fighter, Off-Road and On-Road

A Satria

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

My name is Andhi from Jakarta, INDONESIA
Jakarta is about ONLY 22 Hours Flying from Los Angeles (I went to school there...), North of Australia, South of Singapore.
We had TSUNAME Tragedy 2 years ago....

Existing Spec :
STANDARD 1997 XJ from Factory Rusted and beaten UP :rattle:

Current Modifications :
  • Engine : Stroker Kit to 4.5 Liter w Piggy Back (done)
  • Already DYNOED
  • Axle Front/Rear : Standard with addition of Locker
  • Suspension Front : Walker Evans Coil Over Shocks (Dual rate) 10 Inch Travel
    • Get rid of existing shocks and coils !!
    • New lower and upper mounting for coil over
  • Suspension Front : Walker Evans Coil Over Shocks (Dual rate) 10 Inch Travel
    • Get rid of existing shocks and leaf spring !!
    • New pararel lower link, triangulated upper link
    • New lower and upper mounting for coil over
  • Coils from King Shocks King-Shocks Coils (Dual Rate Coil Over Set-Up):
    • Front : Lower 12" Stiff Coils rate???, Upper 8" Soft Coils rate ???, Primary Rate ???, Secondary Rate
    • Rear : Lower 12" Stiff Coils rate???, Upper 8" Soft Coils rate ???, Primary Rate ???, Secondary Rate
  • New Paint, Solid Black (Done)
  • Ride Height :
    • WORKING-DAY : lowered 4"
    • WEEK-END : Raised 3"
  • Wheels & Tires (Done)
    • Front, 8.5x18" on Toyo 255x55x18
    • Rear, 9.5x18" on Toyo 275x55x18
  • Transfer Case : Standard
  • Transmission : Automatic AW-4
  • Interior : ALL LEATHER colour TAN (Done)
  • SoundSystem : New, with I-POD Connector (Done)
Target :
  • SLEEPER Look during WORKING-DAY
    • LOWERED 4" from standard,
    • 18" AMG Wheel with 275x55x18 tires
    • Use it to work and to beat-up those people who rides in their luxury sedans and "HATE" Jeeps, and who thinks that JEEP is just for off-road and slow !!!
    • So, Have some RESPECT for JEEP !!!
  • AGRESSIVE OFF-ROAD during WEEK-END
    • RAISED 3" from standard,
    • 17" Walker Evans Wheel with BFG 31" All-Terrain
    • It is just a matter up SETTING-UP the Spring COLLAR Retainer to lower and raised the Body of the XJ
    • and, enjoy my hobby as a week-end off-roader with my family.
  • If it is still NOT fast enough :
    • I still have my old PAXTON SN-2000 with 4 different impeller to go into the housing.
    • The standard will put 5-psi around 4000 engine RPM.
    • The MX impeller will put 9PSI around 4000 engine RPM.
Obstacle : :firedevil
Need to purchase most of the parts from STATES (Stroker Kit, Engine, Acessories, lockers, Axles, Walker Evans Racing Coil-Over Shocks).

Need to shipped all of the parts by Sea Freight +7 weeks (or Air Freight +2 weeks) everything from the states to Jakarts, Indonesia

Need to FABRICATE the Lower and Upper mounting for the Front Dual Rate Coil Over Shocks.
Need to FABRICATE the Lower and Upper mounting for the Rear Dual Rate Coil Over Shocks.
Need to FABRICATE the Lower Pararel Link and Upper Triangulated Link for the Rear Axle.
Need to install all of the Spare-Parts and Fine-Tuning
Need to purchase additional SPARE-PARTS and others small items

This all is what we call challenge (if not impossible) and FUN (I mean lots of it....!!!) :roll:

NO, we are not trying to be SMART or to SHOW-UP our capabilities, but rather to get help, ideas and guidance from all of you guys in helping us to built and complete this HUMMBLE XJ in Indonesia.

We know that most of you guys for sure have seen a better XJ than what we are about to built,

My other links http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/archi.../t-315161.html

OHHHHHHH :callme: , well, maybe I am dreaming a little bit too much. Anyway, I will start posting parts that already here and some progress on the FABRICATION.

I wished I were in the states, where I have access to spare parts, technical expertise, Friends, etc...... rather than be here by ourselves.
NOW don't you guys feel so lucky just being in the STATES ???:wave1:

PS: Is there any way that I can UPLOAD Picture please ???

You want to put an air ride adjustable lift on or something? how were you planning on changing the lift hieght between "work week" and weekend?

dsgray16 said:
You want to put an air ride adjustable lift on or something? how were you planning on changing the lift hieght between "work week" and weekend?
I've been racing using YJ(Tubular Custom Frame), using KING SHOCKS. Now for this projects I'll either use KING SHOCKS Dual Rate Coil Over or WALKER EVANS Dual Rate Coil Over set-up.

On the TOP of each coil over, there is a threaded ring collar where you can adjust upper collor COIL STOPPER.
If you raise the position, then the car will be lowered.
If you lower the position of the collar, then the car will be raised.

However, you have to jack-up the chasiss (not the wheel), so that the COIL-OVER will extend and it would be easier to adjust the Ring Collar.

I know it is more hassle than AIR-SUSPENSION. But then again, air suspension would not perform as good as top COIL Supplier such as (Eibach, King Coils, King Shock Coils, etc). They put so much technology when the custom made their coils...

and YES, I am KING SHOCKS Distributors in Jakarta, INDONESIA.. :wave1:
PS: Thanks to Brett King and Mike Eads of KING SHOCKS TECHNOLOGIES...

Kingshocks3.jpg

Last edited:
dsgray16 said:
Thanks, on the following picture, you'll see KING SHOCKS BLUE COLLAR, to positions the Coil Over.

This is installed on my Speed Off Road Racing YJ (Custom Tubular Frame), for some sort of Jeep Speed and CORR Combination.

It is using TRIPPLE Coil Over Set-Up

:roll: and YES,... you can see my modified PAXTON SN-2000 (10psi boost) on my Modified Chevy 350 Engine. :roll:
05030015.jpg

Front Side Picture ;
  • Right Hand Drive
  • Interior converted to all leather, TAN, custom made
  • New deep Black paint, wet look, but not yet polished
  • AMG Wheel Front 8,5"x18 Wheel, Tires 255x55x15
  • AMG Wheel Rear 9,5"x18 Wheel, Tires 275x55x15
  • Engine already STROKED to 4.5L, CR around 9.5, Using Programmable Piggy Back attached to standard factory ECU
  • Dynoed at KSNUSA.com (4 WHEEL Drive dyno test)
    • Torque 195 @3100 RPM to 3410 - at WHEEL
    • HorsePower 140 @3750 RPM to 3950 - at WHEEL
  • Suspension "STILL" standard.
  • Under"COVER" Police package (Code-3 Strobe Light, Code-3 PA)
FrontSide.jpg

Last edited:
The AMG (or most Mercedez Benz) wheels are 112 (PCD, distance between bolts).

The Jeep (not including the old CJ) wheel are 114. I brought my to a machine shop to get the bolt hole enlarge a little bit.

But you can also do it with a hand grinder carefully.

I'll need to get rid of the CENTER CAP, and replace it with a very nice JEEP LOGO.

FrontWheel.jpg

What are the standard range HP and Torque for a 4.5L STROKED 1997 XJ Engine at Four Wheel ?

All I see is figure from Dyno test at FLYWHEEL. I want to know the figure at FOUR WHEL Drive Dyno Test.:confused:

XJ5 said:
And how did you fit a 15" tire on an 18" wheel? That's a really clean look for a street jeep, I like the paint and the wheels.

You GOT ME !!! :thumbup: , Sorry for the mis-typed,...
it should have been...

AMG Wheel Front 8,5"x18 Wheel, Tires 255x55x18
AMG Wheel Rear 9,5"x18 Wheel, Tires 275x55x18

I still have 20" wheel, to be fitted with 275x45x20. But when I look at it, the tires seems so thin, and I do not want to drive on the XJ, and have to stopped on every little pot-hole on my way to work...., or just can go into any offroading place at any time...., just because I am affraid to damage the tires and wheels.

With the current set-up, I am still able to enter any offroad side without much hassle, and not afraid of damaging the wheels....

SURGERY !!!, COIL-OVER Suspension Work Confirmed

Here we go....,

Confirm on Mei 15th, the XJ is going into suspension shop, where it will be modified for,
  1. Coil and Shocks on the front will be replaced with Walker Evans Dual Rate Coils Over Set-Up. That means all of the existing mountings for the coils and shocks will be CUT-OFF and gone forever....
  2. For the front, I will retain the existing 4-Link set-up, and just replace the bushing with a quality bushing.
  3. ...
  4. As for the rear, the existing Leaf Spring and Shocks will also be replace with Walker Evans Dual Rate Coils Over Set-Up. That means all of the existing mountings for the Leaf Spring and Shocks will be CUT-OFF and gone forever.... also rear cargo space need to be Cut-Off to allow upper Coil-Over mount to go thru the cargo space area for Upper Mounting..... while keeping it SLEEPER LOOK.
  5. For the rear, I need to custom fabricate 4-Link (Lower - Pararel Link, Upper - Triangulated Diagonal Link) set-up with additional Sway-Bar to minimize Body-Roll during Street usage.
Has anyone "CONVERT" the rear XY suspension into a COIL-OVER with 4-Link Set-Up ?, If so, what are the most difficult part ?, What do I have to be aware of ?, Any tips and suggestion before I start cutting things apart ?

Last edited:
Help....
1. Anyone knows the standard shocks valving rate (compression and rebound0for the front and rear schocks ?
2. How about coil rate suggestion for the front and rear leaf spring rate ?

thanks

Walker Evans - Coil Over Shocks w/ Remote Reservoir

OK,

Walker Evans Dual Rate Coil Over Shocks w/ Remote Reservoir - 10 inch Travel are to be used on all 4 corner.

Shocks total travel (Bump & Droop) 10 inch
  • Dual Rate Coil Over set-up
  • - 1st Top Coil, 10" lenght, Rate ???
  • - 2nd Lower Coil, 10" lenght, Rate ???
  • - Primary Rate xxx/lbs
  • - Main Rate, xxx lbs
ps: I'll update the final FIGURE later-on....

Shocks-1.jpg

Walker Evans Coil-Over Shocks

Main View
Shocks-2.jpg

The left Silver parts is the TOP COIL Position Adjuster
The right black rounded parts is the COILS SLIDER

1st Top Coil (and Top Coil Adjuster/Stopper)
Coil-Upper.jpg

2nd Lower Coil
Coil-Lower.jpg

Slider between 1st Top Coil and 2nd Lower Coil
Devider.jpg

Last edited:
Back