• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HD tie rod

RenegadeT

NAXJA Forum User
Is it worth it to replace only the tie-rod with a HD version, or will I just end up bending the drag link? I'm not looking ot spend a whole lot on my XJ build, or build it super hardcore. I'll probaly end up with a 4" lift on 31"s.
I've seen plenty of XJs and YJs end up with a sever toe-in problem on the trail so I know the tie rod is pretty flimsy.

The tie rod is in harms way and is more likely to bend from a rock impact than the drag link. Lots of choices for HD tie rods, I'd say it's worth the investment. The wheeling and setup you describe shouldn't be too hard on the factory drag link.

I run a stock draglink and a HD tierod. The tierod is from WNC Custom Jeeps. I wheeled it for the first time this past weekend and it took a pretty good hit. Still straight as an arrow. OTK for now, here is a pic after I installed it:

101_2270.jpg

Stock vs. WNC's HD tierod
101_2269.jpg

Last edited:
The drag link stock is solid cast steel so quite strong. The tie rod is thin walled tubing so easy to bend. Just fit a tie rod as suggested from a ZJ Grand Cherokee V8 which also solid cast steel like the drag link. I have a link on my site showing the part number etc you need under the OTK links write up. www.go.jeep-xj.info

Back