• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ axles and tranny

Eagle-Mark

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for a two door XJ and wondering what years would be a better choice, what axles came with them, are the automatic tranny any good for wheeling.

I read a sticky that says the dana 30 is not very strong or worth building but the rock crawling pictures seem to have many dana 30's with 33 and 35 inch tires?

Front axle will be a dana 30 and I haven't had a problem with mine in the XJ or in my CJ5 and I was rough on the CJ...

The rear axle will be a dana 35 or a chrysler 8.25

The 35 which seems to be the most common is a weak axle all around really, thin axle tubes, small axle shafts, c-clips so if you break a shaft the rest will separate from the axle...

But if you take the application for which the axle was designed for and treated accordlingly it shouldn't be a problem. Parts break when you abuse them.

The AW4 auto tranny is great and so I read will outlast the jeep itself.

I am really happy with my 1990 Limited, but if I was going to buy another I would go for a 91+ for the high output 4.0

Some 87-90 models came with a rear Dana 44 (Best axle that ever came in an XJ)

Some XJ's came from the factory with front and rear tow hooks, extended bumpstops, front skid, t-case skid, and tank skid.

Chrysler 8.25 axles started showing up with the H.O. motors in 91. Early models were 27 spline, and later models were 29 spline.

And yes the AW4 automatic tranny is solid.

The dana 30 is a pretty solid front end. With a minimal baseline of upgrades (grind the shafts for full circle clips, 760 u-joints on an older jeep) it will hold up to 33's with no problem, with some alloy shafts should hold up to 35's .. there are loads of other upgrades you can do to make it stronger yet.

Rear axles are alot more accross the board on the XJ. What year range are you looking at? If you buy an 87-95/6, just count on buying an upgraded rear end at some point, if you want it to be solid (there are always people who claim they have no problems with a dana 35 / 27 spline 8.25, locked with 35's .. but if your asking, thats probably not you). On a 97+, if you get a non ABS model, your rear end will be a 29 spline 8.25 and be fine. If you get an ABS model, you will want to replace the rear axle (c-clip dana 35).

Theres alot out there. A little reading and research will tell you more than you could ever want to know.

Eagle-Mark said:
Any years more prevalent to be a two door?

I think I have seen lower gears for both transfer cases?
While the 2-door was produced through pretty much the entire production run, they became harder to find in later years.

The NP231 and NP242 t-cases are the only ones you will find from 87-01, and they always came with 2.72:1 Low range. There are 4:1 kits available for at least the 231...I've never looked at whether the 242 has a 4:1 available.

Eagle-Mark said:
I'm thinking I should hold on to this set of Dana 44 Scout axles? Those are happy to 35's all the time.

What year Scout? IIRC, the front is passanger side drop. The rear will work. I believe it is just a little narrower than an XJ rear, which is no biggie. Go with the rear, or get a Waggy set of 44's, if you don't want a HP44.

Back