• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's 3in lift with spring pack

mikey mags

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone give me some feedback on thier opinions of the Rustys 3in lift system with spring pack. Im looking into buying it but i would like to know what experiences others have had with it..thanks

I did mine all by myself in about 7 hours. The price was right and 6 months and 7500 miles later, the rear is still about 3.75".

My '89 rides better than before the lift....but my suspension was shot already so my benchmark's not the best. Then again, I'm not wheeling the Rubicon or Moab every weekend. It's held up to some local trails and 3K miles with WAY too much cargo in the back.

I feel I got my money's worth.

Rusty's instructions leave a little to be desired I think... I'm a noob and I had never installed a lift so it took we a few beers to realize that loosening the rear shackles might be a good way to get the leaf springs in!

Getting the front end to line up and buttoned back togther was a bitch but I did it. And I didn't use a spring compressor. I just jacked up the front end, removed the shocks, secured the coils with a safety chain and "GENTLY" lowered the axle. The springs fall out nicely.

Oh, and take this boards advice...spray every bolt with PB or the like for a week prior to starting. Other than one that needed a quick shot with a propane torch, all mine came right off.

I the rustys 3 inch pack and its been on like 14 months. I have had no problem with it but i will tell you that when I had first intalled the lift I netted more than 3 inch in the rear. I will give you some advice, take it if you want... first is make sure you PB blast the shit out of your rear upper shock bolts.. but they still may fail, and if thats the case then there are several routes to follow wich are a different discussion... mine broke.. and i dont kno how high you want to lift but i suggest that you should couple the 3 inch pack with a 1.25" shackle.. yes it will sit a little higher and you prob would want to add soem to the front.. like a spacer but i think that the heavier duty leafs are alot harder on the shackles?! anyway a stock shackle so im just passing on what has happened to me..

to make a lond discussion short. i feel that i had got my moneys worth out of them, i have no complaints and I would buy again.

good luck

I have had mine on for about a year now and I agree with the 2 posts above. PB the crap out of all the bolts and nuts involved and take your time with the install. I got the higher rate springs(180lbs) and the ride is better than stock. It was VERY harsh and stiff for about the first 2 1/2 or 3 months, but then it smoothed out and stayed that way.

Back