• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What trails to choose

Louis

NAXJA Forum User
This will be my first trip to Moab. My only experiance on slick rock was Elephant hill in the spring with no problems on 32 x 11.5 a rear locker and a limited slip up front. What trails would be good to choose for Friday and Saturday that would be a little harder than Elephant hill and still give me a good chance of driving the Jeep home on Sunday?

Well, nothing in life is a guarantee, but based upon what you've asked for (reasonable challenge, manageable risk), and what you have in both equipment and experience, I would guess that any of the trails listed for Friday (other than Top of the World) and Poison Spider on Saturday would meet your needs. Moab Rim ups the breakage-potential ante a bit.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Depends on how good of a....

depends on how good of a driver you are. Except for my front locker, you are equipped similar to my XJ. Now my youngest daughter is running 32's with open axles. We did Hells Revenge without a problem and Poison Spider and Metal Masher. We even did Pritchett Canyon. She had to be towed up Rock Pile and Rocker Knocker. I had to be towed up Rock Pile. so did just about everybody except for the long wheelbase (118") rock buggies. I made Rocker Knocker but still don't know how except for a great spotter. Julie also drove right up Yellow Hill.
The key is to try a couple of times and then if you don't make it get towed up and over. Don't bash the c**p out of things and then break. That's where all the time delays are. If you are willing to be tow a couple of times then Pritchett is doable. There really are only three hard spots. It's an awefully great trail.
If you are any kind of a driver and with your equipment, you won't have trouble anywhere except the Proving Grounds.
I was just out in Moab in June with a bunch of rock buggies from tennessee. They weren't use to the extreme traction that Moab has. It's all mud and rocks in this state. They were amazed at how well our three XJs were doing. The heights were also a big surprise. HR scared the crap out of them.

Yeah, really, with 32's and a rear locker and front limited slip, I'd do any trail in Moab other than upper Proving Grounds and upper Helldorado, which aren't really trails on most lists. You won't have any problem picking a trail to run once you get to Moab. There will be plenty of people around to talk to about it.

Your rig will be over built for some of the trails, which just means that the potential for breakage is reduced:D but anyone with an averege helping of common sense, a moderately built XJ and some good spotters can run all the Moderate and Difficult rated trails in Moab without any trouble at all. I've run most every 4-4+ rated trail in Moab with open diffs or an LS out back, first time I ran Moab Rim and PSM some 7 years ago was with a 2" BB and 30's, open diffs, a 5speed and 3:07 gears. Schooled some built Willy's rigs and wound up pulling one of them out of a hottub.......they dined on their Grocery Getter comments from earlier in the day.:D
Most folks that run Moab for the first time are intimidated by the ruggedness of the terrain, but also surprised by how well the moderately built XJ performs. Great wheelbase combined with the killer traction of sandstone makes Moab a great time for the XJ owner.........did I forget to mention some of the best scenery on the planet?:eek:

Typical! I try to give some nice, conservative advice for some trails that are the next level up from E-Hill and you guys start egging him on! :D (I'm surprised that One-Ton hasn't jumped on this one as well)

Actually Louis, these guys are all pretty much accurate - besides the perfect match of Moab terrain and an XJ, we are blessed with some of the best damn spotters this sport has to offer and that combo makes anything in the area a reasonable challenge.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

It's been so long I hardly feel qualified to say this, but the limiting factor will be fear. If you don't mind heights and are used to more serious wheeling, any of the standard Moab trails is well within reach with your setup, even without the locker/limited slip.

If you mind heights and don't do well with pucker factor, then the sheer steepness of many Moab trails and obstacles will make you an unhappy wheeler no matter what the equipment.

I'm kind of in the middle. I'm a total wimp but usually do it anyway. You'll have the most fun that way.

Nay

I remeber the first time I did HR they had to pry my hands off the steering wheel due to white knuckle death grip I had going on. But it's all fun afterwards.

Back