• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6.5" lift for 1990 xj????

inputshaft

NAXJA Forum User
I am kinda knew to this jeep thing :) and i am lifting my 90 xj 6.5 inches and was wondering what other modifications i need to do to make the xj perform well ie. extended drivelines front/rear, SYE kit, brake lines and most importantly what size of tires?

Last edited:
are you sure u need 6.5" cause ive been runnin 4.5 for a while with 32's could fit 33s and i couldnt be happier, exept im givin her a 2 inch boost so she can step it up to more challenging terrain. 4.5 is the limit before needing to spend a ton of cash. being that you have a '90 you should get a away at 4.5 w/o a sye but at 6.5 youd be pushing it, though people are running it. you would need ( if the kit doesnt come with it) new lower control arms, advisably some adjustable uppers, extended brake lines, adjustable trac bar or relocating brackets. if you get teh SYE youll also need a new driveshaft and it is advised that you remove your spring perches and rotate your diff so that the pinion is roughly parallel with the shaft (many people like to be 1* lower to account for axle wrap under accelleration)
so if you have the money, and will be wheelin it alot, go for it, but if its goin to be just for some weekend fun here and there, just do a 4.5, or even a 3.5 with some spacers and shackles, youll be able to stuff some 32's under there and w/ some fender trimming (that youll probably wind up doin anyway) maybe some 33s

good luck
travis

BTW lifting your jeep will not only cause you less feul economy, but also it will cause it to function differently on the road, be aware that bumpsteer and deathwobble are common enemies to lifted jeeps, make sure to get an alignment after the install

inputshaft said:
I am kinda knew to this jeep thing :) and i am lifting my 90 xj 6.5 inches and was wondering what other modifications i need to do to make the xj perform well ie. extended drivelines front/rear, SYE kit, brake lines and most importantly what size of tires?

you will need all of the above... you will need an SYE and new rear shaft, extended brakelines, and with 6.5 inches of lift you can fit 33 with no trimming and 35s or 36s with considerable trimming. with tires that large if you are planning on getting anywhere you will need to regear, which means getting new carrier, i.e. locker of some sort maybe. depending on your axles, you may need to swap in something stronger to not destroy shafts and gears. in some states in order to pass inspection and be legal, your tires have to be covered by flares, that may also be something to think about. Doing one thing leads to doing another, and another, and so forth...

All the above is true, I have a 90 raised 6.5" (no SYE and stock drive shafts) and I'm running 35's with 4.56 gears, (4.88 would be better). You will need adjustable upper & lower control arms to move the wheels forward 3/4" to keep the wheels centered in the wheel wells.

Get all three brake lines from 95 YJ...don't go with ss.

On the driveline issue...at 6.5", the only performance enhancement I got out of a SYE was more clearance, because I had to have my tcase lowered 1" with the stock driveline.

When it comes to the tires, go with 35's. Don't go with 33's and then wish you had 35's. Q78's are a nice tire.

And after a very short time, you will want to regear. The D30 will only hold up to 4.88's so go with those and you won't regret it.

You will need a SYE. No way around it.

You will also need a CV rear driveshaft. The front driveshaft may just be long enough but depending on what type of lift you're running, it may not. My 6.5" lift did require me to lengthen my front and my rear.

Obviously longer brakelines, shocks, and e-brake cables (if that's your thing).

More than likely you'll need to modify your front and rear bumpstops to dial everything in (aka keep your tires out of your body).

On some suspension systems you may need limit straps. Some like to use their brakelines or shocks but it's not a good long-term solution (aka breakage is certain).

Make sure your suspension sytem comes with some type of trac-bar geared toward your height. The stock one will not work as bolt-back-in.

Steering will also need to be addressed. Your angles will/maybe funky so you might need a drop pitman arm (Even an inch can help).

Aside from that, plan on a quart of brake fluid, some grease, and to check all of your tie rod ends, ball joints, etc when you're putting it together.

And that's all I have to say about that. ;)

Back