• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Appropiate torque values for lower control arms and leaf springs

Very tight will do. NOt sure if there are specific torque tables for these parts...you just want to get them as tight as you can, and then check them after driving it a few days.

There are. I've been coding torque tables and putting them up on my site - check the Tech Archives to see if I've gotten information for your year yet. Link is in my sig.

Technically, there should be a torque value for EVERY threaded fastener - it helps them do their job. However, many fasteners which are deemed "non-critical" can forego this safely. Still, it's a good idea.

If I don't have torque values listed for your year, it's likely because I haven't gotten them myself yet. I still need a few FSMs...

All torque values listed on my site are from Factory service literature, or traceable directly to factory service literature.

5-90

Thank you, I will read them and see if they work for me, normally suspension parts are similar on all XJ years, so I'll see and use an approx. value.

mjrna, by the way, very tight is a very bad idea on leaf springs. I had them that way once and they didn't flex, you only put alot of stress on the frame. I loosened them so they have only some torque and now my rig works great, but I don't want to "undertorque" them as it can also be risky.

And, for control arms the same should apply.

Regards

OK, that should help for now, this means that they will do fine between 120 and 150 ft/lbs?

I'll be doing lcas and coil springs this weekend, so that's what I need first. Any experiences with leaf springs?

You want the leaf spring bolts to be fairly loose. If they are too tight you won't get as much flex. I know some YJ guys that torque their leaf spring bolts to 15 ft/lbs. If you want to be safe you might torque them a little more than this and use some thread locker.

OK, I found in a FSM that the lcas should be between 118 and 148 (it's just what was said in this thread), and about the leaf springs they recommend 95-115 for the bolt that holds the leaf to the frame and 85-105 for the shackle bolts. However it sounds great to leave them more loose, I will se how tight I have them and try to get them at maybe 50 ft/lbs at least. It's like a difficult line to understand when it's safa and when not. Another chance could be to torque them down when off-roading and then torque them up again when driving on the street.

Regards

Back