• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

44 or 8.25

adamtreich

NAXJA Forum User
Xj w/ 4.5 in lift and 33's
want to junk this junk 35
Want to run 4.56 or lower w/ a locker and probably 33's still
Which axle is the easier swap, more reliable, and cheaper parts?

44, no question.

CRASH said:
44, no question.
x2... looking for one now myself and I have an 8.25

8.25 is fine. I'm locked with 4.56s and 33s no worries.

Just depends though, if you got to swap anyway I'd go d44, but I'd never pay over $150 for one. I got a complete spare 1997 8.25 for $20.

XgeekstarX said:
you can find 8.25's all day long, but locker options and everything else are so much more expensive than the tried and true 44

I wouldn't let that stop me, serch and find good deals. Got my new Powertrax No-Slip for $200.

44 is cheaper option because there is way more aftermarket support. it's hard to get stuff for an8.25. Also, 4.56 is the lowest that you can go with an 8.25, which is something to consider. It's not a weak axle, just not as common and being as such there aren't as many parts available for cheap.

ZachMan said:
I wouldn't let that stop me, serch and find good deals. Got my new Powertrax No-Slip for $200.

I think that what he is trying to say is that aftermarket support for 44s is a lot stronger than it is for the 8.25... in stock form, they are about equal in strength, but the 44 can be made a lot stronger than an 8.25 can be, all my opinion of course.

Just for comparison sake, here is some pics of a stock 30-spline XJ D44 shaft as compared to a 27-spline 8.25 shaft from a 92 xj. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

d44vs8.jpg

d448.jpg

Can you build an 8.25 with 35 spline shafts?

Can you get 5.13's for it?

How about a 1350 pinion yoke?

Don't kid yourselves kiddies, no one ever stops at 33's and 4.56's. Admit that early and save coin inthe long run.

go with 44 if you can. Mine has a 29 spline 8.25 and I'm happy with it. Definitely would swap with a 44 if mine was 27 spline. good thing about the 8.25 is that you need to bring only one spare axle shaft on the trail since they are equal in length as opposed to the D44.

Skullvarian said:
Just for comparison sake, here is some pics of a stock 30-spline XJ D44 shaft as compared to a 27-spline 8.25 shaft from a 92 xj. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

d44vs8.jpg

d448.jpg

Wheres the 29 spline pic at? This is what he'd be going with if he went 8.25.

CRASH said:
Can you build an 8.25 with 35 spline shafts?

Can you get 5.13's for it?

How about a 1350 pinion yoke?

Don't kid yourselves kiddies, no one ever stops at 33's and 4.56's. Admit that early and save coin inthe long run.

Haha, so true, BUT with them being so similar in strength and given that reasoning I'd pass on both 8.25 and d44 if he ever wanted to go 35s+ and never break. My new answer is 9" :jester:

5.13s are nice for 37s, who wants to run 37s on a d44, lol.

djblade311 said:
go with 44 if you can. Mine has a 29 spline 8.25 and I'm happy with it. Definitely would swap with a 44 if mine was 27 spline. good thing about the 8.25 is that you need to bring only one spare axle shaft on the trail since they are equal in length as opposed to the D44.

If I had a 27 spliner, I'd just hrow some 29 spline axles in it.

Sorry it is all I have, Let me go grab one real quick from the junkyard just to keep you happy, kidding. I will think again before I add meaningless photos to this brand new topic:)

Skullvarian said:
Sorry it is all I have, Let me go grab one real quick from the junkyard just to keep you happy, kidding. I will think again before I add meaningless photos to this brand new topic:)

I was just f'ing around...I sorry :kissyou:

ZachMan said:
I was just f'ing around...I sorry :kissyou:
Me too, are the 29-spline shafts any thicker at the spline or is there just two extra splines? Anyways c-clip is a pain in the ass no matter what IMO.

ZachMan said:
Haha, so true, BUT with them being so similar in strength and given that reasoning I'd pass on both 8.25 and d44 if he ever wanted to go 35s+ and never break. My new answer is 9" :jester:

Don't listen to me anyway, I'm anti-8.25 because they are difficult to set up correctly and quietly, especially in 4.56 flavor. Damned tiny pinion bearings too.

I curse customers that bring me these axles.

ZachMan said:

9"? so you can drag your pinion on everything?

I would gladly trade my 9 for a 44 any day...

Skullvarian said:
Anyways c-clip is a pain in the ass no matter what IMO.

Agree 200%, Loved screwing with them getting my no-slip in, then out, then in again, bastards are stubborn.

For your question:

Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 91-96

Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01

Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 87-89 on some (not all) XJs equipped with towing package.

Last edited:
Back