• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacement AW4

jeffrey803

NAXJA Forum User
i am going to be getting a auto aw4 tranny out of another cherokee.the only thing is mine is the H.O version 92' with no power/comfort switch.will a 90,91,92,with a aw4 with a power/comfort switch work or would i need the TCU also out of the jeep i am getting the aw4 from? the guy i am buying it off of says i can have the aw4,transfer case,torque convertor,and anything else i want for $75.00.he is going to be junking it anyway.the tranny has 170,000 miles on it but it has to be better then what i have,mine has 224,800 and no reverse for over a year,but 1,2,3,4,run like a banshee.
anyone who may know if the tranny will work,please post asap.Thanks.

Buy it - it's a bargain even if the AW4 is junk the transfer case is worth it for trade goods. What kind is it?

Of course you want to know the tranny was actually working when the Jeep stopped working, that it wasn't the cause, damaged, and you aren't missing something when you pull it. Get all the bolts you can. The power comfort switch would have to be added to your 92 with the wiring harness and older TCU to make it work if you want. I think they quit the switch in 92 by just deleting it, and have the option still burned in the TCU, meaning it should work without the switch just fine. Mechanically it should bolt in no problem if the transfer cases are the same type (spline counts might be different).

With the money you save/make on this, get a tranny cooler - service industry charts show transmission life is cut in half with temperatures over 200+ degrees.

thanks for replying,my transfer case is the 231,as for the donor,i'm not sure till i get it,i figured if it's the select-trac,(mine is the command-trac) i could just put my old transfer case back in.
i am already running a trans cooler and what a difference.my radiator collapsed internally and let all the coolant go to my tranny,i pulled the drain plug when this had happened but it didn't help. changed fluid and filter numerous times,but still no reverse,i plugged the old radiator cooling lines and ran a tranny cooler so i didn't need to get a new radiator.
as for bolts from the tranny i am getting,the guy already has it pulled for me,so probrobly no bolts,the jeep that the tranny was in is smashed in the front real bad,he just pulled the motor for another jeep.he said the tranny worked fine.hopefully i'll get a good one,i hear there pretty much bullet proof.
i've been reading about the 2 E12 external torx bolts on top of the bellhousing,at 11,and 1o'clock positions.i asked my buddy if i could borrow his E12 socket for 1 day,then them 2 bolts are getting replaced with hex head bolts.hardest part is doing this replacement on the ground.i have a big floor jack,was going to go to harbour freight(yeah i know there stuff is junk)and get a tranny jack adaptor to use they are $40.00 on sale.
i will get the TCU and the power/comfort switch from the donor vehicle,or could i use my old TCU for now.TIA

Back