• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

zj proportioning valve in a xj with disks

jonn

NAXJA Forum User
yes i have searched...
just did a rear disk swap on my 98 xj. it looks like i am going to have to install a zj proportioning valve to get more fluid to the rear as they are barely working and i have checked everything else.
here are my questions.
what year zj proportioning valve will work
will my xj lines bolt right in
do i need to get the zj booster and master cylinder as well.

thinking about removing the rubber seal in my xj prop valve but doesn't sound to safe in the case of a broken line i think you would lose all braking

thanks

I used a prop valve from a 98 Grand. ZJ/WJ, whatever that is. I had some line fittment problems, but I also removed my ABS pump, so that complicates things. It should be a bolt in thing. If you want, you can go to the Stealership and buy new lines from the MC to the prop valve. Just tell them the year you are using. Both small hard lines cost $13 total. If you go to a junkyard, just pull those lines as well. The connection from the MC should be the same, but I had a fitting that didn't work on the front circuit. As far as what years, I really didn't care. I just took a valve from a 4 disk Grand.

I have a write up on my site on how to fit one. No need to change lines. Any ZJ one from about 95 on is fine as some of the earlier ones had drums. The master cylinder is exactly some so no need to change it.
www.go.jeep-xj.info

Gojeep:
After looking at your writeup - seems that the prop valves
are identical externally - would if be possible to swap the
bleed nipple, spring, and piston from a ZJ to the XJ?
As opposed to swapping in the entire ZJ unit?
Eddie

thanks for the help guys
hopefully someone can answer eddieeddiegs question above about whether you can swap in just the actual valve assembly.

eddieeddieg said:
Gojeep:
After looking at your writeup - seems that the prop valves
are identical externally - would if be possible to swap the
bleed nipple, spring, and piston from a ZJ to the XJ?
As opposed to swapping in the entire ZJ unit?
Eddie
Was going to do that myself actually but couldn't find a P/valve near by to just take that out of it. So I had to have the whole p/valve sent out and thought I might as well juck the whole thing in there.

Back