• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 35 non c clip

zirzow

NAXJA Forum User
I know that all you guys hate the dana 35 but it seems to be a pretty good axle. What are the limitations in the way of tire size? I have an 88 Mj with a 4.0, aw4 and a dana 35 non c clip. Right now i have a 2 inch lift and running 235/75r15 bfg ats. Why is this suck a crappy axle? small ring gear? small axle shaft diamater? I would really like to know. I am looking at about a 5 inch lift and 33s and i don't want to replace my axle. thanks.

zirzow said:
I know that all you guys hate the dana 35 but it seems to be a pretty good axle.
search
its the weakest axle on any modern suv. but can hold 33's open, light foot

The general concensus is that the D35 is reasonably week. The D44, 8.25, 8.8, etc, are all stronger. Yes shafts, pinion, and gears spider gears are all breakable on this axle.

That being said you will find some people who have had reasonably good luck with it. There are people who have run the D35 welded, locked, on 33's with no breakage. There are are others that have had breakage open on the street with stock type tires.

The decision is yours. If you do not mind replacing shafts every once in a while it might not be a terrrible choice. But you should plan on it breaking eventually.

Michael

Thanks for the input guys. Is the non c clip stronger than a c clip? I have heard that the non c clip is stronger but i am not sure. How come it is that a dana 30 will hold up just fine with large tires, yet the dana 35 can't do it? i know the ring rear is a little smaller in the dana 30 and has the same spline count.

i have a question on these too...i have an 89 MJ and i think mine is a non-clip also but not sure. how do i tell? the only thing i noticed is it has 35c stamped on the diff which means "custom" right?

So over all the non c clip is a stronger axle right? I don't have the money to spend on another axle suck as a dana 44 or a ford 8.8 or 9. So as i can tell this axle should be able to hold up to 33s. thanks alot for all the input.

zirzow said:
So over all the non c clip is a stronger axle right? I don't have the money to spend on another axle suck as a dana 44 or a ford 8.8 or 9. So as i can tell this axle should be able to hold up to 33s. thanks alot for all the input.

It all depends on the terrain you wheel and your driving style. I've personally had no problems running my D35, but I'm not rock crawling and I'm easy on the gas pedal.

A buddy and I have a spare '85 w/2.5/4spd and we are currently trying to break it by wheeling it hard on his property (nothing stupid or dangerous, just no letting off the gas until REALLY stuck) and it is incredible what these things will put up with.

Wheel it, watch it, and enjoy. If you break, just have the stuff to fix it so you can limp home.

Have fun and keep the greasy side down.

My D-35 with Trac-Lock lasted about 1 year wheelin .. 8 months on 31's and 4 on 33's ... In the pic thread there pics from Swiss Trip, theres a pic in there of it breaking and what it looked like

zirzow said:

I would rather have non clip ..

non Clip axle breaks just fish out the broken pcs and limp home.

C clip you have to change the shaft to get home

Back