• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electrical issues???? Battery?????

NC4X4boy

NAXJA Forum User
well, my jeep is haveing all kinds of problems. When i try to start, it doesnt even turn over, it just clicks, so i get out hit the battery and usually itll start right up. Now the thing is completly dead, and i don think its the battery because my guage panel shows it with an over charge after giveing it a jump. So any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

I usually use the gauge just for consistency b/c sometimes they're not always accurate. Do you have a voltmeter you can put on the battery?

If you pull the jumper cables immediately it'll really load the system. The alternator will dump full current and show high volts since the battery's about dead, which is of course hard on the alternator.

Sounds like either a bad battery, a charging issue or a draw sucking the battery down. Meter time.

lawsoncl said:
BTDT. Sounds like crappy connections at the battery. Pull the battery connectors off and clean them.

X2. It's very common to show good voltage at the battery until you hit the starter, and then the resistance of the bad connections prevents turning over. If up until now it started when you hit the battery, it's almost certainly just bad connections.

Back