• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vibration between 20-40 mph

bradmoody

NAXJA Forum User
I have installed a rough country 3" lift on my 98 xj recently and am getting a bad vib between 20-40 mph. Everything went together good and was not vibrating before, also it gets a little loose around 55mph. has anyone got any ideas?

At 55mph that is most likely a wheel balance issue, It seems that most vibes at 55 are. As far as 20 to 40, did you do an alignment, or have it done? Did you relocate your trackbar? How are the bushings on UCA's and LCA's, once you modify/lift a vehicle alot of issues come into play.. Its not just plug and play. Check over all your work and if you didnt get an alignment and wheel balance get one. If you did, check your trackbar. And this is just front end stuff, you might have put the drive shaft on 180 degrees out and it can do the vibe at certain speeds as well. From there you are looking at SYE and driveshaft. :Lots of things to check on. Good Luck

Thanks for your reply,I am not an auto mechanic by far so I dont know what a lot of the terms are like SYE so if you could help me out I would appericate it. I have not been to the front end shop yet or purchaesd new tires yet,so many tires to choose from its taking me a bit to decide I hope to put 31s on my factory aluminum wheels.I took my drive shaft off and went to napa with it and had them install new u-joints today. still did not help vibration. I'm also not sure what the track bar is,is it in the front or back or both. any help would be appericated!!

bradmoody said:
Thanks for your reply,I am not an auto mechanic by far so I dont know what a lot of the terms are like SYE so if you could help me out I would appericate it. I have not been to the front end shop yet or purchaesd new tires yet,so many tires to choose from its taking me a bit to decide I hope to put 31s on my factory aluminum wheels.I took my drive shaft off and went to napa with it and had them install new u-joints today. still did not help vibration. I'm also not sure what the track bar is,is it in the front or back or both. any help would be appericated!!

no problem...

SYE = Slip Yoke Eliminator...most 97 up guys complain about that particular vibration issue.

It requires a kit and a built shaft. Really depends on how you want to go about it.

Track bar is mounted to the bracket just above the front axle( drivers side ) and goes down to the axle (pass side)

It is usually recommended that you get a Aftermarket set up consisiting of a replacement bracket and trac bar...but they make aftermarket trac bars with a ball joint set up to avoid using a replacement bracket.

DEFINATELY check your alingment. It tore up a nice set of 32's on mine because I got lazy..and was broke.

made a world of difference.

good luck.

this vibration also makes a loud noise,sounds like its between passager & drivers seat. Would a transfer case drop help? when I let off the gas the noise is not there

Hope this is not too confusing....but you may be having yoke to yoke interference in the rear drive shaft...when you lift a rig the angles on the shaft increase...stock yokes are not high clearance....jack up the rear axle and put it on jack stands...put it in neutral and turn the drive shaft by hand, and observe how much clearance there is between the yokes...the vibration at 20mph is about right for a yoke to yoke problem....if there is insufficient clearance, you can massage the "fork" part of the yokes to clear the "ears" on the other fork..

before you dump a bunch of cash start with your pinion angle, do a search if your not sure what it is. Shims and a transfer case drop are the first two avenues that i would explore, before doing anything drastic.

you grind away some material to provide clearance...wish i had a camera...this is tough to describe to a noob.

As has been mentioned the 20-40 is probably driveline. I had the same problem with my 01. The cheapest way to fix this is with a Transfer-case crossmember drop. Not the best, but easy and cheap. Before you do anything though you should definitely get it aligned.

Glen

MudDawg said:
Hope this is not too confusing....but you may be having yoke to yoke interference in the rear drive shaft...when you lift a rig the angles on the shaft increase...stock yokes are not high clearance....jack up the rear axle and put it on jack stands...put it in neutral and turn the drive shaft by hand, and observe how much clearance there is between the yokes...the vibration at 20mph is about right for a yoke to yoke problem....if there is insufficient clearance, you can massage the "fork" part of the yokes to clear the "ears" on the other fork..
Hold on to your hats folks!The late model XJ's already are factory with the so-called "YJ yoke".yes they are longer by about 1/2" and are clearanced for the yoke ears.

Sounds like my '91 after my Rusty's 3in install. I didn't need a sye or brake line extension on this amount but was told to align immediately after install. I didn't like a dummy cause I wanted to test drive and got similar problems between 25-45mph. I got the alignment and went home and installed my transfercase drop. Dunno if one helped the other or one was inept but have yet to have any vibes since. All i can say is try the T-case drop, like $25 and check the wheel balance and get that alignment if you already haven't? Good luck.

my 99 did the same thing after a 4.5" lift, ended up that the front driveshaft was wore on the ball socket between the 2 ujoints on the tcase end of the shaft. tried a tcase drop-no change. the noise was really bad when in low range and on the throttle. ended up buying a new mopar shaft from discountjeepparts.com it was cheaper than I could buy one and I'm the parts manager at a jeep dealer! good luck

Thanks for the info...i'll add that to my data base...My Heep did the same thing, and it was interference...but it is a '85 model.

I,m going to get front end worked on when I get my tires in a couple of days,but what makes me think drivetrain is that when I let off the gas it seems to go away.

We,ll I got new tires yesterday dayton timberline mt's 31 1050's and they are mean looking, also got the front end aligned and I still have noise and vibs, next step I guess is transfer case drop.

I got new tire and a front end alignment still vibs and noise I guess a transfer case drop is next huh? I bought some dayton timberlin mt's 31 1050's and they look mean.

I bought new tire and got a front end alignment and still vis and noise i guess a transfer case drop is next, i got some dayton timberline mt's and they look mean on my jeep.

Back