• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The end all intake manifold swap post

2jeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
I have been searching this topic for a few days now and have read many different things. I give a lot of credit to this forum and would trust people from here over any other forum. Could we all work together to form a "how to" on swapping the intake manifold? Post pics, give advice, ask questions as well as answer them. Thanks guys

You should start by being specific .. what manifold to what year engine? ;)

To be honest that is probably the easiest swaps out there. Its a bolt off / bolt on affair. The injectors are the same and just swap over, I would be to autozone and grab a new set of o-rings for the injectors. Other than that you just have to change a few of the vacuum lines. Grab a couple of t-fittings and some hose and you should be all set. Most of the vacuum lines you can figure out and just look like they belong. It took myself and a buddy about 2.5 hours to do this, plus a banks header swap at the same time. The hardest part is getting the bolts tighten down on the bottom of the headers. Require one skinny double jointed arm, luckily thats my buddy. I did have to reach up from underneath to get a couple. Reminds me, I need to find a creeper lift, HA.

I have read in a few posts that people have done away with the original mounting bolts and went with brass? Any input? Also, since my manifold came out of a 99 Grand Cherokee, do I want a gasket from a 99 Grand Cherokee or do I want one from a 1998 Cherokee. Chrysler lists different part numbers. Some people have used RTV? Also, has anyone ran new exhaust manifolds without any clearance issues with this swap?

2jeepowner said:
I have been searching this topic for a few days now and have read many different things. I give a lot of credit to this forum and would trust people from here over any other forum. Could we all work together to form a "how to" on swapping the intake manifold? Post pics, give advice, ask questions as well as answer them. Thanks guys
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoIntakeManifold1.htm -------Hans

2jeepowner said:

That's kinda funny to give big props to the people here as most of the knowledgeable folks here are the same ones on all the jeep and off road forums/websites. some use the same user name some don't but after you have been around for a few years you know who is who. I just started looking at this forum and been on others for many years.
Sorry, I digress,
You won't have any probs with the install, really straight forward, If your XJ was older you would have to deal with a different power steering bracket.
Good Luck,

I'm getting ready to do the same myself. Just to let you know, if you IAT sensor is too far away on your 99+ manifold you can just unscrew it and move it to the rear location on the manifold. No need to extend the wires.

shonuff said:
I'm getting ready to do the same myself. Just to let you know, if you IAT sensor is too far away on your 99+ manifold you can just unscrew it and move it to the rear location on the manifold. No need to extend the wires.
X2.. Exactly what I did on mine. I also installed the Banks look-alike header. Had to do a little clearancing for them to clear each other.

I'm up in the air on something I am swapping a 2002 complete long block into a 94 XJ I will be using all the 94 electronics except injectors. Will I get the same gaines or do I need to use the 94 head and cam?

2jeepowner said:
I have read in a few posts that people have done away with the original mounting bolts and went with brass? Any input? Also, since my manifold came out of a 99 Grand Cherokee, do I want a gasket from a 99 Grand Cherokee or do I want one from a 1998 Cherokee. Chrysler lists different part numbers. Some people have used RTV? Also, has anyone ran new exhaust manifolds without any clearance issues with this swap?

Brass or bronze - I've been using copper alloys for exhaust hardware for a number of years. No changes to installation (they've not got that much installation preload...) but they're a LOT easier to take out later. I use a lot of brass hardare (nuts and screws) undercar, and prefer silicon bronze for manifolds.

Per my Fel-Pro listing, the manifold gasket break is 1998/1999, so I'd compare the two side-by side. That, and check the manifolds proper as well - just to make sure the ports line up (I think they will, but it won't hurt to make sure.)

1998 Manifold - Fel-Pro #MS94790
1999 Manifold - Fel-Pro #MS93094

5-90

So I got the 99 manifold at crazy ray's below B-more for $25, but w/o the PS pump and bracket (already were gone. mine is a 94 btw). I went back a month later and all they had was a 98 Grand Cherokee with the pump and bracket. Cost--$26. I put it all on today only to find that the tensioner on the new bracket wouldn't pull up enough to tighten the belt. I don't know if this was because it came off a 98 WJ or what. So I went to AdvancedAuto and bought a 5" larger belt (pn # 1030K6) so it can go around the tensioner pulley. Tomorrow I have to unbolt the tensioner system, bore out the hole on the bottom of the bracket, and put it on so that you can adjust the tension on the bottom (not the top like it was in the wj). Hopefully the belt will stay on the tensioner pulley as now the belt ribs will be on the pulley. If that doesn't work then I'll get a ribbed pulley from rays. At least she started up fine and was idling smooth after all that carb cleaner blew out of the head. We'll see what's up tomorrow.
94 2dr 2wd AX15 Borla Header+cat-back w/Magnaflow cat 62mmTB K&N FIPK JEt stage 2 adj MAP Hurst Bilstein Springworks Centerforce DF and maybe next week I'll finally get that Auburn LSD put in.

dan89XJ said:
What about for us Renix guys ? 2000 intake on a 1989 ?
I ran my 89' renix manifold on my 99' for a while before I retrofitted the 99' throttle body, all the sensors, and the 99' model intake back on the engine and working with the renix system...so I would imagine that yes it is possible.

MogifiedXJ said:
I ran my 89' renix manifold on my 99' for a while before I retrofitted the 99' throttle body, all the sensors, and the 99' model intake back on the engine and working with the renix system...so I would imagine that yes it is possible.

Ok.. hmm.. I'm trying to figure out - did you "upgrade" your '99 XJ to renix ?

dan89XJ said:
Ok.. hmm.. I'm trying to figure out - did you "upgrade" your '99 XJ to renix ?
No...No...sorry for the confusion. I have an 89' model renix cherokee that I blew the engine up in so I swapped in a 99' model ho motor. I intially ran the complete 89' intake utilizing the original renix's system's throttle body, injectors, and everything that goes with the 89' intake on the 99' engine. This is the reason I believe you can use the 99+ intake on your renix engine because I ran the renix intake on my 99 ho engine until I later swapped out the 89' intake for the entire 99' intake w/ ho throttle body to work with the renix system. All you I had to do was use the 99+ power steering pump, zip tied the injector connectors onto the injectors because the ends are different (eventually I'll rewire the new ends on the injector wires) I retrofitted the ho throttle body to work with the renix system. I also had to tig weld another fitting onto the fuel rail and use an inline rising rate fuel pressure regulator because the 99' injector rail only had one fuel line fitting. I believe those are the only things you will have to do inorder to run the 99+ intake on your renix. I also got rid of all of the unnecessary vacuum and emissions crap when I swapped in the later manifold. One more thing...you'll also need the later style intake hose when using the ho throttle body. Hope this helps clariffy and doesn't confuse you any more.

Back