• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 Thermostat Question

mudpuddle

NAXJA Forum User
I assume my thermostat is stuck open as this morning it never got over 160F when it usually runs 210F. My question, and I think I saw it here a long time ago, is can the replacement be lower than the 195F specified or will it mess up the engine computer calculations?

So what temp thermostat did you use?

I've replaced mine with a 180*, with good results. The ECU goes into closed loop at about 160*, so I definitely wouldn't go any lower than 180*.

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
So what temp thermostat did you use?

I've replaced mine with a 180*, with good results. The ECU goes into closed loop at about 160*, so I definitely wouldn't go any lower than 180*.

I put a Stant superstat 190/195 back in, part # 45359. It runs slightly cooler now, right at 200 instead of the usual 210. The factory stat was trashed, the spring cage had broken and it was stuck open. Good thing I didn't wait.

I tried to find a Robershaw unit, I think they are/were the best, but no one seems to be able to get them any more...??? Also in disconnecting the temp sensor on the housing, I threw a check engine light and had to disconnect the battery for 15 min to reset.

I had a question regarding this too and though ask here.

Just as the heat in Ca is starting to move away, a few strange things are starting to happen. Its intresting becuase during the days when it was 90F+ outside the xj would usually ride the 210 or a bit over it...But now the temp has gone down to 75F the xj wont even go above 160F on the highway. Once i am off the highway it goes up a bit but stays at ~170F at a signal , and once i get going it goes down to a few degrees.

I let it idle in my driveway today, and it did get to 210F but as i drove it , it went down.

Is this normal ?
Can the thermo be stuck open , even tho it gets to 210F.

pete

Check your gauge's sender. If you jumper it, see if the needle on the gauge deflects all the way. If it does, replace the sender.
A stuck open Thermostat won't prevent the engine from getting up to temp, it'll just make it take longer to do it.
If you can get your hands on an infrared gun, take readings at the thermostat housing and see what you get.

Back