• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tires sqeaks when turning...

Zice

NAXJA Forum User
alright this may sound like im retarded but it just started and its not like im going around a turn 40 mph and cut the wheel hard and the tires squel (sp) but when I go around turns the tires will squeak in little spurts like erch...erch...erch...erch if you get what im saying its both ways that I turn and its very annoying... anyone know what is causing this all of a sudden its kinda embarassing rolling through town and people checking out my xj and i goto turn and erch erch haha

2 possible things.

1. TIRES UNDERINFLATED
2. POWER STEERING FLUID LOW (sound could actually be power steering pump)

tires are properly inflated and Im about out of powersteering fluid I would have thought that it would be moaning like powersteering does when its low and its the front tires and yes in in 2wd

Then you got U-Joints going bad, what year?
When U-Joints first go bad they usually get very stiff. This don't make any difference going straight but when you turn they bind up.

Last edited:
Do you have a Trac Loc? Have you been maintaining it? Chirpy, clunky noises coming from the rear could be signs of a failing LS Clutch pack....

when the tracloc clutches fail, dont they just slip more rather than chirp?

so I got home a drove it today and I realized the tires arent squeling... its just like a sqeak when I turn either way... Im not sure what that means though either... anyone?

ditto on the u-joints possibly binding up. Sure it's not stuck in 4wd or jumping in/out or like Karl said and someone installed a locker when u weren't looking? haha jk

make sure you check the wheel bearings too. I just had one go bad today, started out as a squeak yesterday, ended with a bearing and wheel wobbling 1/2" today.

UPDATE: Ive been driving it because no funds to fix it... and it does it alot worse in the mornings like its a hardcore squeak and I can feel it in the steering wheel jerking to go straight and its starting to worry me... how much would new universals be anyone have a rough estimate?

My guess is the unit bearings/wheel bearings you need to stop driving if you can't afford to fix it. You could loose control on the highway and kill someone or yourself.

langer1 said:
My guess is the unit bearings/wheel bearings you need to stop driving if you can't afford to fix it. You could loose control on the highway and kill someone or yourself.
That would be bad.

EDIT: any estimate on the cost on the unit and wheel bearings? Im kinda broke right now and wondering how much I will need to set aside from my next pay...

Last edited:
Do you have a floor jack or any way to jack the vehicle up? Because that's going to help you out a lot if you can. So....if you CAN jack it up:

Jack up the problem side (if you are unsure of which side is giving you trouble, apply the following process to each side). Turn the steering wheel to full lock (either direction) and attempt to spin the wheel in the air. If you feel some resistance, along with grinding/popping/other noises, you'll need to replace the U-joint.

To be doubly sure it's the U-joint, turn the steering wheel so the wheels are pointed straight. Now try turning the wheel in the air again, listening for grinding/resistance. Try grabbing each side of the tire and moving the wheel back and forth. If there is play in the wheel and noises when you turn it, then you'll need to replace your wheel bearing.

I'm not a mechanic, so what I have listed here is not science, but it's worked pretty well for me over the years.

From your description in this thread, I would say you're probably going to be replacing the U-joint on the problem side. U-joints are probably the most common repair I have run across with Cherokees, they go out all the time on these things. The U-joint costs just under 25 bucks at napa. Be sure you put extra grease in the caps before installation, it'll help prolong life. If you need direction as far as taking the hub off and axle out, and how to pound the old U-joint out, let us know. Good luck!

Back