• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Graduation money...

88cherokeekid

NAXJA Forum User
So I'll be graduating soon and will come across a little bit of money. I cant decide whether to go with a Lock-Right for the front dana 30 or a 2'' lift added ontop of my RE 4.5'' lift. I'll be going to school at A&M Galveston so I will be on the beach, which would help me more in the sand? (fyi: bigger lift allows for bigger tires)

XgeekstarX said:
lock right

Lock-right... Or, ahead of that, recovery points if you don't already have them.

Neither. Get in the habit of saving and when you're 30 you'll be able to walk into a Jeep dealer and buy a brand, new Jeep for cash. Don't remember who said it, but there's an old and true saying that "No one is quite so rich as the man who knows how to live within his means."

I know. Boring. And I sound like your dad. But it's true.

Yeah, but I wanna have fun NOW! You are young only once.

Yeah, u could be better off when you are older if you don't spend too much money when young. I wish I could be into CHEAP hobby.

Boostn said:

Yeah, u could be better off when you are older if you don't spend too much money when young. I wish I could be into CHEAP Way of Life.

fixed it for ya', a hobby is radio controlled airplanes, jeepin is a passion for me

dmillion said:
Neither. Get in the habit of saving and when you're 30 you'll be able to walk into a Jeep dealer and buy a brand, new Jeep for cash. Don't remember who said it, but there's an old and true saying that "No one is quite so rich as the man who knows how to live within his means."

I know. Boring. And I sound like your dad. But it's true.
but with the way DC is going, Im not going to want to buy a "jeep" when im 30

Why do u want to lift it higher? The locker with your current height will get you farther down the trail than more lift and bigger tires. I think having a small Jeep locked is more fun than a big Jeep that cant go anywhere.

AARON

Go with the locker and some recovery points...4.5" lift will get you anywhere fine but the lock-rite will make sure you get there without getting stuck...

Boostn said:

Yeah, u could be better off when you are older if you don't spend too much money when young. I wish I could be into CHEAP hobby.

I'm 57 and still do'en it, oh yea I still wheel too

I have a 4.5RE and it allows me to go any where with the tires I run. but the lift sint going to give you traction.

88cherokeekid said:
(fyi: bigger lift allows for bigger tires)

Correction, bigger lift allows for taller tires. If you're on sand, you might want wider tires. Extra ground clearance isn't a plus on sand. I vote for the front locker, assuming you already have something in the rear.

Hey, you can wheel right across from the college on Pelican Island, take the road to the left where the intersection is going to the ship yard,I don't remember what it's called,I'm sure you can still wheel out there.

lawsoncl said:
If you're on sand, you might want wider tires.

I'd be inclined to go with 'aired-down' tires over 'wider' ones. The end result might be the same, but a wider footprint at a lower air pressure has (in my experience) been more advantageous over a similar width at higher pressure. The ability of the sidewalls to deform and reform as needed is a small but useful crux here.

Extra ground clearance isn't a plus on sand.

I'll disagree with you on that one, but only to a point. In general, ground clearance has little to do with sand ability - however, I've also hit patches of sand that have stopped me dead due to one or both axles ending up completely mired. To be fair, though, you're in Northern Idaho and I'm in Southern California; having never wheeled in your conditions, what you're saying may be entirely correct based on the terrain there.

I vote for the front locker, assuming you already have something in the rear.

Still going with recovery points ahead of that, but that's just me.

Back