• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C, Radio, Horn, Lighter All Out

J33PsRock

NAXJA Forum User
On a 90 XJ Laredo. I was driving in about 95 degrees in Vegas with the Air on Max and at the same time the radio, a/c went off...no power at all. It's an after market radio but has worked well for years. Checked several fuses that seemed okay (dome, radio, power acc, blower, etc.)

Any thoughts much appreciated. I did do a search on this btw.

does the dome lights work too? I had a similar thing on my 93 country, turned out to be a short in the harness under the drivers side carpet. the short blew the mini fuse under the hood. It was a 20 amp marked I.O.D. (ignition off draw) check that and see what happens. I would start by looking at the mini fuse and if it is blown trace the short.

Paul

Not sure about Maxi fuses??? All I have is 4 relay deals under the hood. Not real sure about that one.

I have discovered, however, that on the fuse panel inside the Jeep there is a slot labeled IGN with a plugged wire in it as well as one named ACC with a plugged wire. It looks as if the wires run to the console where the AC and Radio are. When I unplugged these, separately, and then turn on the Jeep there is no change.

Are these what people are calling mini fuses? If so, how can I fix them?

in the power distribution box under the hood and behind the battery, there should be maxi-fuses as well as mini-fuses. The fuses should be right next to the relays.

Yeah....nothing that looks like a fuse under the hood, just the relays. Maybe I am blind but it seems that I read somewhere on here that the 90's only have the drivers side, indoor fuses.

As I crank the Jeep, there is about one/half second of power from those accessories...like if the ww wipers are on they will move about 2 inches and then stop, the clock light will come on but no clock. I don't know if this info is any more helpful.???

I'm okay without some of this but summer is HERE in Vegas and I just can't go w/o that AC.

The above posts refer to the Chrysler ignition/electronics sytem (1991 on). Your 1990 with the Renix system is different, with no power distribution centre under the hood. If the fuses (under the dash) check out OK, AND these electrical items that don't work are on different circuits (different fuses), then your problem is most likely the ignition switch (the switch is the black box at the lower end of the steering column- not the key cylinder at the top). Several circuits feed through this switch, and when it burns out some contacts then circuits that are otherwise seperate quit working- the common factor is the switch. That the electrical items work temporarily while in start key position, but not in run key postion, also suggests the switch. It is a standard GM switch used in a lot of late 80s and early 90s cars, supposedly not too expensive.
If it isn't this switch, it could also be corroded grounds making poor connection, but less likely. You could check the ground strap from the back of the engine to the firewall, and clean the connection points (good idea anyway).

On mine there is a clear box, looks like it's an aftermarket one already. It is zip-tied on the column with red, blue and I think two black wires going into it. Parts house has it ($22) but how hard would this be to install as far as the wiring? THe Stealership quoted me $400 to replace it on the phone. Are the wires plugged in or soldered? DO the wires come with the box and plug into the fuse panel?

'Preciate the awesome help.

Last edited:
J33PsRock said:
Nope, no blinkers, wipers (front or back), horn, a/c, radio, lighter, clock, and I'm sure there's a couple more.

Just went to the parts store, they showed me something that looked like this, roughly...where is this located on my Jeep? http://www.jsclassics.com/gm_products_july03/ignition_switches/ignition_switch.jpg

The more I research this, the more I'm guessing I will have to take off the steering wheel, etc...Is that ciorrect? $400 isn't looking too bad at this point.

Back