• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pressure to high??

HiGhLiFe

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 94 auto 150,000 miles, using some high mileage oil 10-30 wt, 4.5 in lift 33's, 4.56 gears. This is a new truck to me, built it this winter. Motor runs strong, no blow by, no ticking, no smoke. I have just started driving it and the oil pressure is running 60 to 70 psi all the time when it is warm and under load and then at idle it stays at 40 psi. Is this ok? Just seems high

Thanks for any info

That's high--could be a faulty oil pressure sender: check with mechanical gauge. Could be rebuilt engine with high volume oil pump--not good for bearings. Could be a sticky bypass valve in the oil pump, holding pressure high. I had a similar problem with a high mileage '88 4.o. Turned out to be combination of pressure sender (mostly) and pressure relief valve in oil pump (erratic high pressure).

I disassembled my pump, cleaned it well, including the pressure relief bore/piston, and replaced the spring with a new one--there are aftermarket springs that are used to raise the pressure--you may have one of these installed??.
Also, old hot rod trick was to place a washer under the stock spring to raise oil pressure--engines in the "old days" ran with much looser bearing tolerances than modern engines. As you can see, fooling with the pressure relief valve, either intentionally are with a gummed piston results in pressure different than the engine was designed for. When the filter gets clogged with dirt, the relief valve opens, bypassing the filter. Filters clog up pretty fast! Also, the oil pump is a positive displacement pump--meaning pressure is directly proportional to engine speed, so when the engine reaches a predetermined RPM, the relief valve opens, again controlling pressure. Generally, a worn oil pump results in lower pressure--the opposite of your problem. If the relief valve is the culprit, replacing the oil pump will fix it; however, I'd try replacing the relief valve first. But I have lots of time.

FYI: The OEM oil pump blows off at 75 psi.

I ran for years and years on the highway at 75 PSI because I was too lazy to pull the pan and do anything about it.

Back