• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 jeep cherokee laredo suspension

davehoose

NAXJA Forum User
I know I have a bad track bar (as per my son's vocational school master mechanic). I am thinking of replacing the shocks as well as it's too hard on the local streets bad shape. Are there struts in the jeep or just shocks? Maybe a silly question but I'm hoping for the cheap way out. FYI, it is a 4x4 with the aw4 and full/part time 4wd. 95000 miles which is awesome for an 89. The interior is mint and not too bad outside except the bumpers which look a little rough. I can see the rig lasting me another 10 years if I take care of her. What's everyone's take on the hard ride (not that i'm afraid of the hard ride, I just want it to last!). I don't go off road, we just have really extreme snow conditions in Watertown, NY, partial home of the blizzard of '77.

it has shocks all the way around

not sure of the hard ride, just the nature of the beast

are your rear leaf springs sagged? IIRC, Rear height is 17" from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the rear fender. I think its 17", you can always search. Most harsh rides are from sagging leaf springs and bad shocks on stock XJ'S, Sounds like you got a nice one. Change the oil on time and it will give you lots of miles... Good Luck

Shocks only, no struts.

Personally, I like Monroe shocks for street and mild trail use. I can recommend the Sensa-Trac series. They have grooves in the middle portion of the shock bore to allow some fluid to bleed past the piston, then the ride stiffens up as the piston moves beyond the grooves.

And they have a lifetime warranty, which is useful if you intend to keep the vehicle for a long time.

Eagle said:
Shocks only, no struts.

Personally, I like Monroe shocks for street and mild trail use. I can recommend the Sensa-Trac series. They have grooves in the middle portion of the shock bore to allow some fluid to bleed past the piston, then the ride stiffens up as the piston moves beyond the grooves.

And they have a lifetime warranty, which is useful if you intend to keep the vehicle for a long time.
Looking forward to getting some! :)

Back