• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! i cant get tranny off ???

well, do you happen to have a tranny jack. they make the job a lot easier. if not you may have to pull the whole thing from the jeep. engine tranny, ect. that helps a lot but can be a real pain in the butt. you may also need a puller.

well No i dont have a tranny jack iam doing this outside in th drive-i do have other jacks under it! how about this do i have torx bolts in the top of a 5 speed? i did not take any out!! also should the t-case be lower? higher? or level??..thanks again!

yes, you should have bolts at the top.

I don't know about the 5-speed, but on the auto (w/ the 4.0L) there is a plate sandwiched between the motor and tranny that has a bolt or two going into the tranny (this plate sits behind the flywheel and will let the tranny loose, but it won't come off unless these bolts are removed.

it may just be hung up on the alignment dowels. (it'll still feel like it's bolted fast to the motor if it is)

I just removed my 5 speed in my 90 a couple of months ago. I had to replace the hydraulic throwout bearing. It was not fun to pull the tranny. There are some bolts at the top of the tranny that are hell to get to. I lowered the tranny about 4 inches before i could get to mine. Get together as many extensions as you can. dont forget, there is the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor (CPS) at the top driver side of the bellhousing. I almost ripped mine off because i forgot it was there.

Also, Im sure you already know this but I am going to throw this in anyway. Your 91 may have torx bolts (or standard/metric) for your starter, you will need to pull it in order to get the tranny out. Good luck with everything. Sometimes a good shove and a shout helps out.

90red

If you have a 4.0L you have to remove the starter. If 2.5, you don't have to. Did you take off the 4 nuts on the mount and remove the Xmember? If so, you can block up a floor jack just behind the bellhousing with a ratchet strap or two if you don't have a tranny jack, but it's light enough for 2 people to hold it on either side and "wiggle" it back and forth to pull it free of the engine. Pull it straight back gently until the input shaft is clear of the clutch housing.
HTH,
Jeff (pulled my AX5 twice now.....)

well i think all blts are out! there was two at the top-well the side not really the top but close to it hey red thanks for info!! iam goin back at it!! day 3 GRrrrrr lol

Invest in a tranny jack if you do it again!

I'm in Hartsville, SC right outside Darlington and close to Florence.

No the Just Empty Every Pocket take all my cash right now. I do have dreams of affording one one day. Have you been to Uwharrie yet? And if you are in P.I. why dose you Location say Syracuse? I think I'm dumb what is suck bang blow?

Ok so its a biker bar! So you have a place down in PI too? [email protected] let me know when you get back this way.

Back