• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Steering

akram

NAXJA Forum User
OK first off I've serched alot.

Has anybody swapped the tierod, TRE, Draglink into their XJ. I found a write up a guy did on a TJ. But I've heard of people doing it. I'm not talking about the WJ steering/brake deal. just the Beefy stuff from a ZJ. If so does anyone have pics.

the setup is more or less the same.

same front axle (d30 except low pinion)

you'd be swapping in the V8 ZJ stuff, not the i6.

gregmondro said:
the setup is more or less the same.

same front axle (d30 except low pinion)

you'd be swapping in the V8 ZJ stuff, not the i6.

i know the tie rod from the V8 ZJ is stronger and the drop pitman arm is longer

That is what I'm doing. I figured it was the same. I'm also doing an OTK with it. I'm just trying to do something stronger than what I have now until I go with my bigger axles. I don't want to dump a bunch ofmoney it it now then have to do it all over again. thansk for the reply.

YOu know what? You are correct. After rereading some stuff I found that out. so all I'm going to do is swap the tie rod and tie rod ends. Also have to have the adjusting sleeve.

akram said:
That is what I'm doing. I figured it was the same. I'm also doing an OTK with it. I'm just trying to do something stronger than what I have now until I go with my bigger axles. I don't want to dump a bunch ofmoney it it now then have to do it all over again. thansk for the reply.
The only way you can do an OTK conversion would be if you used RHD parts???

Yep, only the drag link is different between the LHD and RHD in the part numbers. When I did my OTK as shown on my site, I only had to change the drag link but threw in the rest new only because I wanted the rest new not because of the OTK.
Not happy with the quality of the Crown Auto parts though that I got through Quadratec with all the boots failing in the first 5 months! The TRE's even seem to have less travel too. Will replace them with Moog parts next time. Anyone tell me the cheapest place to buy Moog parts?

Gojeep I read yours. I am going to replace all the TRE and other stuff as well. FOr the same reason just feel better putting new stuff in. and since I'm going to put the ZJ tie rod in all that will be new anyways.

greg thanks for those links.

Another question. Would it be better to buy the MOOG parts instead of the napa ones? There is actually a carquest up here in AK. Prices seem about the same. I think about $1 less for the MOOG stuff. But that might just be cuz NAPA up here is higher on everything. It seems evry site I read the person used the MOOG tie rod.

Last edited:
What I'm wondering is, is the MOOG stuff better quality than the NAPA stuff. Or I got a line on a ZJ V8 in the junk yard that the front end is fine on. Wouldn't that be just as good?

akram said:
What I'm wondering is, is the MOOG stuff better quality than the NAPA stuff. Or I got a line on a ZJ V8 in the junk yard that the front end is fine on. Wouldn't that be just as good?

Just used. It's the same. I ordered mine from morris4x4 RHD draglink, ZJ tie rod and all the ends it showed up the next day on my door step. Great prices and great service.

Yeah I seen that sight. It looks like they woul dbe the cheapest for the drag link. My only problem is the shipping to AK. the dealer here wants $220 for it but no shipping $120 from morris. I going to check on the shipping and probably will go with morris4X4. The other items I can get locally cheaper by not having to ship them.

akram said:
Yeah I seen that sight. It looks like they woul dbe the cheapest for the drag link. My only problem is the shipping to AK. the dealer here wants $220 for it but no shipping $120 from morris. I going to check on the shipping and probably will go with morris4X4. The other items I can get locally cheaper by not having to ship them.

Check ebay for the tierod.

Right now the RHD Drag link is $143.98 shipped. I'm waiting on a reply e-mail to be sure of that price. I checked ebay. Cheaper than napa for the tie rod and stuff. Unfortunately that ugly shipping shows it's head again. for about $15 more I can get it local.

Back