• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Outer Bearings on a rear axle

jmsull

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace the seals on my D44, and the bearing should be replaced anyway. From what I understand I'll have to "cut" off the old retaining ring and bearing to get the seal off and the new one on, and then press on new bearings and retaining rings.

My question is, how should I go about "cutting" off the old ring and bearing, so that I don't damage the shafts. Also should I replace the race or whatever the bearing rides on, that is pressed into the axle tube? If so any advise on that?

Thanks, James

I pressed mine off? I've probably pressed ten sets off of the 9" on my pickup as well. I don't have a press at home anymore, so i run to the local auto parts store and he lets me sneak back and use his press for $5 now. Less time (even with the drive) and you want the press to put the new ones on anyways.

jmsull said:
How do you press them off?
Bearing splitter.

Looks sort of like a portable guillotine that clamps behind the bearing from both sides. You can see them in the Harbor Freight catalog, but I don't know if their quality is worth taking a chance on.

Eagle said:
Bearing splitter.

Looks sort of like a portable guillotine that clamps behind the bearing from both sides. You can see them in the Harbor Freight catalog, but I don't know if their quality is worth taking a chance on.

Don't bother with the HF one. I bent/broke mine trying to press the bearings off a D35 shaft. I wound up slicing most of the way through the bearing and collar with a dremel. They slid right off after a quick whack with a blunt chisel in the groove. I still have the pos coil spring compressor out in the garage too. The bolts bent on the first use. Kinda scary.

Back