• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil spitting out of SENSOR???

bacelaw

NAXJA Forum User
guys - my jeep is spitting oil all over the road...thought initially it was the oil filter adapter - however....when it's running, i can see that the sensor above the oil filter adapter is spitting oil out of its rear end....!

what is the deal?

does anyone know what this sensor is? how could it be spitting oil from the back of the sensor?

it's the oil pressure switch/sensor.
Likely the diaphragm has blown. You'll need to get a replacement.
The part number will depend on whether you've got a gauge or idiot light. Light takes an oil pressure SWITCH, gauge takes an oil pressure SENDER. Make sure you tell the parts guy which one you need.

This same thing happened to me when I did my first oil change on the jeep. That sensor is your oil pressure sending unit. You probably chopped it off when you were removing or replacing the oil filter. Just replace it and your good to go. I think it cost me $35 at NAPA. I was pretty damn worried when I first saw it. Looking at a slow yet steady stram of oil draining out of my block.

awesome - thanks for the quick replies - i have an oil pressure guage...so i need the sender i guess?

oh, and think the jeep will survive a 10 mile/25min. drive with this thing spitting?

also - there are two wires coming out of the sender - will the new sender have these? where do they go?

Last edited:
when it happened to me I just removed the sensor found a misc. bolt with the same thread pattern put a little bit of RTV on it and put it in the sensors place. Drove 30 miles to NAPA no problem.

Roads said:
when it happened to me I just removed the sensor found a misc. bolt with the same thread pattern put a little bit of RTV on it and put it in the sensors place. Drove 30 miles to NAPA no problem.

good idea - what about the wires coming out of the sensor - are they included with the new one? and where do they route to?

Go look at them. It's a detatchable harness that connects at the sensor. Also, after that experience I always disconnect it when I do an oil change

The wires unplug from the back area of the sensor and plug into the new one, just look for the plug.

Roads said:
Go look at them. It's a detatchable harness that connects at the sensor. Also, after that experience I always disconnect it when I do an oil change

right, the harness detaches...but i think it's the harness that might be messed up....there is a plastic boot type thing at the back of the harness where the oil is spitting from.

you think if i replace the sensor....this harness (which is oil-soaked) can be cleaned up and reused no problem?

bacelaw said:
beautiful! im going to drop a quart of oil in the jeep and make that quick drive to my shop...

im quoting myself - decided its unwise to drive anywhere....with that sensor busted, the engine can pump oil right out at a really fast rate!

in a couple minutes, i'd have no oil.

waiting for the lady to get home and take her non-jeep vehicle to the parts store.

thanks gentlemen.

bacelaw said:
im quoting myself - decided its unwise to drive anywhere....with that sensor busted, the engine can pump oil right out at a really fast rate!

in a couple minutes, i'd have no oil.

waiting for the lady to get home and take her non-jeep vehicle to the parts store.

thanks gentlemen.

Call first, make sure they have one in stock..

RichP said:
Call first, make sure they have one in stock..

autozone has one - it's funny how quick they are to say, "uhhh, we dont carry it...," when they have trouble finding it in the computer.

then i call another autozone that has six in stock...ridiculous.

called the first place back, with the part number, sure enough - two magically appear in stock!

**Disclaimer - no offense to any parts store employees on this forum, i'm sure the one i spoke with was the ultimate exception to the rule: auto parts workers are as a whole very knowledgable and helpful.

Thanks.

thanks for the help guys - quick fix...half hour....stopped the leak, however, my oil pressure guage still seems strange.

its stuck on 60 - at all speeds and idle.

is this normal?

thanks

Do youself a favor and put some teflon pipe tape on the threads before installing! Just one less place that will leak in the future!

xjtrailrider said:
Do youself a favor and put some teflon pipe tape on the threads before installing! Just one less place that will leak in the future!

good call - does anyone know how a normal sensor should operate? is 60 at all speeds and idle normal?

I didn't see your last post before I posted so don't worry about pipe tape now. The pressure should fluctuate some, and could be a little lower, like 40-50. Is it the right sensor? Is it plugged in right? Do you have a wireing problem at the plug in? Double check everything.

xjtrailrider said:
I didn't see your last post before I posted so don't worry about pipe tape now. The pressure should fluctuate some, and could be a little lower, like 40-50. Is it the right sensor? Is it plugged in right? Do you have a wireing problem at the plug in? Double check everything.

the harness got wet with oil...but i dont remember the guage fluctuating much at all before the new sender went in.

if there was a short/problem with the wiring -wouldnt the gauge register no oil pressure...NOTE - the gauge does register 0 when the jeep is off...upon startup, gauge goes to 60 and stays there.

sensor looks exactly like the old one - just screws in and wiring harness clicks onto it.

Back