• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serpentine belt on thanks to search

highhilleer

NAXJA Forum User
Searched and found instructions for replacing the serpentine belt. Went well, but somethings I did not see in the previous posts. This is for a 97.
1. Let things cool off. I'm still recovering from burns due to not waiting long enough.
2. I was able to loosen the center - idler pulley bolt with the open end of a 15mm Craftsman combination wrench. It was very tight but eventually surrendered.
3. 3/8" ratchet with extension and 15 mm socket was the ticket for the adjusting bolt. A little loose was enough to get the old bolt off. But when installing the new bolt I had to loosen the adjuster ALOT more.
4. When installing the belt, start with the crankshaft pulley, then work up and around the other pulleys finishing with the center idle pulley.
5. The clamp (original) for the lower radiator hose was very close to the belt. I adjusted it's position to give more clearance. Probably not needed but....

Those original spring type clamps make me think the radiator hoses are probably original. I think 9 years is probably long enough, time for R&R as preventive maintenance.

In reference to step one I infer that you MUST be a blond.....:)

Back