• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie rod ends won't come out of the tube

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
How likely am I to crush the O.E.M. tie rod tube by putting it in a vice to get the ends out? I've soaked the ends with PB overnight, but if it's like everything else on this Jeep I've done it's still going to be a chore. Any tricks, maybe, to getting them out? And I do realize they're threaded differently on each end.

Sorry, I'm sure you do know, but I have to ask; You did loosen the clamp nuts on the end of the tie rod tube?

I'd remove those bolts completely, then use a big flat edge screwdriver to spread the tube at the slit that goes down length wise.

Another thing to consider, the tubes themselves aren't that expensive, you could just get new tubes as well as the tie rod ends. I thought I saw prices like $8 and $25 online for them.

Rick Anderson said:
Sorry, I'm sure you do know, but I have to ask; You did loosen the clamp nuts on the end of the tie rod tube?
Yes, but it never hurts to ask about the obvious.
Rick Anderson said:
then use a big flat edge screwdriver to spread the tube at the slit that goes down length wise.
I thought of this, but the way everyone seems to rag on the stock tube, I was half afraid it'd split in two. Looks like I'll be trying this once the boys go down for their naps.
Rick Anderson said:
Another thing to consider, the tubes themselves aren't that expensive, you could just get new tubes as well as the tie rod ends. I thought I saw prices like $8 and $25 online for them.
Maybe after I get it all back together, I'll get a new one, but Jeep dealerships around here never have anything other than goofball accessories in stock. And since it's currently off the XJ, I at least have to get things back together to do anything.
EDIT:Thanks.

Oh, and heat always seems to work. A propane torch from you local hardware store is usually ~$13.

Just remember, suspension pieces are critical items and you don't want to weaken them. Heat the parts, to help seperate them, but don't over do it, you get metal glowing red hot, it can soften and weaken the metal even after it cools and it will be more likely to bend, crack or break with stress.

Not sure, offhand, about the threads.
Yep, tried heat last night. I almost went to MAPP gas, but I thought that would probably be too much heat.
Back to the original question, am I going to crush the tube by putting it into a vice tightened enough to hold it still?

I've used vice-grips on the tube while it was on the vehicle, to adjust the length. I had to get it pretty tight to break it loose initially, it didn't bend or crush, just left teeth marks.

Well, I just came in from the shop, and I had the tube in a vice and was using a small pipe wrench on the ends--nothing. Even if I had a way to get to a dealership right now, they won't have a new tube in.

might want to take the oppurtunity to upgrade. Call the local junkyard and see if they've got any ZJ's there. the v8 ZJ rod i solid, and drops right in.

87manche said:
might want to take the oppurtunity to upgrade. Call the local junkyard and see if they've got any ZJ's there. the v8 ZJ rod i solid, and drops right in.
I know I should, but I've already got all the ends. And I just now got the old ones off. I found an old thread by GoJeep in which he said hitting the tube beneath the clamps with a hammer (while having another hammer on the other side) helps. I did that along with more PB and lots of heat. I don't think I used enough heat to hurt anything, though.

Thanks, guys.

All done, including the "GoJeep home alignment." I took it for a test drive around a few blocks and on the freeway up to 65--no problems. Of course, I'll get the alignment checked at a shop soon. PB Blaster and heat, heat, heat did it. I made sure not to let anything get red hot, and used a 12" monkey wrench with the old tie rod end in my bench vise. The initial turn took quite a bit of force. I weigh just under 210 lbs. and I was practically off the ground for that first turn on each end. It's unbelievable how tight they were. Maybe if I'd had a longer monkey wrench it wouldn't have taken so much, but it's done.
EDIT:Actually, I shouldn't have said it's totally done. I still didn't get around to the rod end that connects from the adjuster sleeve to the Pitman arm, but for some reason, I don't see that one being too difficult.

Last edited:
actually easiest way I Found was tie rod end in vice and BIG pipe wrench on the sleeve

Back