• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4.5 to 6x5.5 adapter

smilesyota

NAXJA Member #1366
going to do a waggy 44 up front, already have a 8.8 rear explorer. Trying to find a wheel adapter to go from explorer to wagoneer bolt pattern. anyone know where to find one?

good luck, i've never seen one.

I've got a buddy running a set with the same axle combo you're planning. They're 2-pc adapters. I'll try and dig up the info on them.

Jeepin Jason said:
I've got a buddy running a set with the same axle combo you're planning. They're 2-pc adapters. I'll try and dig up the info on them.

Yeah, Dirt Surfer runs a set of those as well. I'll see if I can get him to chime in. He can tell you what not to buy. His are 6 to 5, but its the same idea.

So here ya go. I'm not trying to change your plan or anything, but ya might want to reconsider things long term. I run a 6 lug Isuzu rear, but will be putting in a Waggy up front. My adapters are temporary.
They are 2 piece adapters. For 5 to 6, the holes overlap so they have to be 2 piece. They are 2" total wide. Google "wheel adapter" and you will get the same page I did. Bought mine from EZ Accesory. I think they are kind of shady, but they only cost $130 for the pair. Oh here ya go
http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapter_5_Lug_4_5_To_6_Lug_5_5_p/5450-6550.htm
My adapters unscrewed the first wheeling trip. Locktighted them and they have been fine since. A guy I called from another site will make some for you. Good American stuff. $250 for a pair.
Here are my thoughts for you. With a Waggy/ 8.8, that sounds permanent. I don't know if I would want to run 2" 2 piece adapters forever. To get to your brakes you have 3 sets of bolts to deal with for each wheel. 2" works for me now cause I am running stock wheels. When I do the Waggy, I will get my offset right and loose the adapters. The guy I talked to that was going to make some said that he wheels them and makes them for hardcore friends and he has no problem with them. Buy good, buy cheap. I know your options are limited. One thing to look at. If you changed your Waggy outters to ford 5X5.5. Then your could use a 1 piece 1" adapter permanently. PM me if you want. I can send you pics. I have some spares. Long story.

My opinion on the matter...

$130 - $250 for wheel adapters is fairly steep. Add on to that your not really getting a good UPGRADE for your money, just another potential problem area.

If it were my money and my rear axle, I would skip the spacers and get Superior to cut me up a custom set of alloy's with 6x5.5. Of course the downside here would be the extra cost... but you would have a rear axle that brings the beef (assuming you have addressed the other 8.8 problem areas).

But I have always thought wheel spacers were a bit janky.

-justin

Yah but then you gotta find brakes in a 6 lug variety that will fit the 8.8

my 2 pennies

ditch the 8.8 and run a yota rear.

For a cheap option, just do as planned and keep the bolt patterns the way they are. You will have 2 different bolt patterns. Now to make the spare work, get a wheel that fits the front and an adapter to allow it to fit the rear. This way you only use the adapter when you run the spare.
Thats what I would do.

oldmopars said:
For a cheap option, just do as planned and keep the bolt patterns the way they are. You will have 2 different bolt patterns. Now to make the spare work, get a wheel that fits the front and an adapter to allow it to fit the rear. This way you only use the adapter when you run the spare.
Thats what I would do.

Actually, that is what I was going to do. My axle is 1 inch narrower. With my lift and bigger tires, I needed more spacing. So I need the 2" for now till I get proper wheels in the future. Keeping an adapter in your XJ to use a spare is a good idea if everything else is working right for you. Just put it on when you need your spare. That should be rarely to never. I'm sure the cheaper sites will only sell pairs, but if you find the site that will make them for you, they would probably make just one.

Bolt patterns are frustrating but important. A 8.8 is a kick butt swap, IF you are keeping the front D30. Was going to do the Ford 44/9" swap, but changed my mind. I only swaped in my Isuzu 44 because I was going to pair it with a Waggy. There are always way around such things. Time and money solves just about everything.

I think I might try and sell my explorer 8.8 and buy the disc set up for the toy. I use to wheel a toy with 36 swampers welded with 5.29 R&P and never broke a rear, so I think I might go that route.

smilesyota said:
I also have a Ifs toyota rear that would work that may also be a good option.
Then just convert it to disc.
The 58.5" wide Toyota "IFS" 8" rear will not work in an XJ unless you inboard the leaf springs; the drums are too close together. It barely cleared on my MJ which has leafs a couple inches closer together. You will need a 60" wide Toy rear from a later 4runner (8") or from a Tacoma (so called 8.4).

Back