• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke my brake line doing my rear lift....

Cornflake

NAXJA Forum User
To start with, '89 XJ Laredo. 4.0, NP242, Auto, 31" tires, currently 2" inch lift, stock gears, stock axles. I have a 2 inch shackle in the back and was installing my 3.5" leaf pack this afternoon and broke my brake line in an interesting spot. I'm going to try to link pictures but who knows if I'll be able too. I broke the metal line where it connects at a strap and turns into a rubber hose. It cracked at the piece that connects these two but I don't see where I can replace it and where to hook a new part up to the metal line. Is there some sort of fitting that slips on and how does it stay on? I'm continuing this project tomorrow so any help will be greatly appreciated.

wv34ic

wv370g

How is that going to attach to the metal line that i broke where the rubber hose and metal hose connect? The metal hose sheared off of the connection.

You need a flaring tool kit and can get a cheap rental one at Autozone. Then you need the nut that goes over the hardline in the correct size. Lastly you should get a new rear line as the one you have with that size lift is going to be too short. I know YJ front hoses add roughly 3" over stock but am not sure about the rear hoses. Maybe someone else will know of a hose that adds more.

I just broke mine that same way on my 87' XJ. Are there any differences stock from 84-01' XJs in the entire hardline and rear axle hardlines? Also are they any differences between dana 35/44 or 8.25 rear axles with the brake lines?I need a new hardline all the way from my master cylinder to each drum brake. Do you know where to buy this (NAPA, Auto Zone, etc) or do I need to go to a Jeep yard? I have a very good ones here in Sacramento like J&W Autowreckers (having acres of Jeeps), but they want a lot for their stuff.

Troy

Prebent hard lines for an '87 are "discontinued". You will either need to re-bend your whole line, or repair the areas that need it. I was able to repair my hard line (in the '87) with a couple of parts from Kragen. They have various lengths of pre-flared hard line (of various size). That, some couplings, a flar tool, and a little mini pipe-bender and you are set to go. It's really pretty straight forward.

I was thinking of just going over to J&W and having them pull off the entire hard line from the master cylinder back to drums. It might not be cheap, but at least I can install it as long as they don't strip things too bad.

Back