• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips for cleaning/disassembling rusty axles?

I bought a pair of axles out of a 1979 Bronco (D44 w/cast mounts, 9"), and they really need some TLC. The Bronco they came out of was mainly a plow truck (factory plow package), and there's a fair amount of rust on the axles. The drums won't come off, the pads up front are seized to the rotors, and most of the nuts seem to have rusted solid to their bolts/studs. The gears in the D44 look just fine; I haven't been able to get the case out of the 9" yet.

Anyone have any tips on products or techniques I can use to get these things apart? I have a set of lug-nut removers that just round nuts off instead of breaking them free. I also have a long 1/2" drive breaker bar, but the nuts and bolts seem to have become one solid piece. Do products like Eastwood Rust Converter really work?

I plan on replacing just about everything (brakes, gears, shafts if I can afford them, 9" case) on these axles except for the housings and radius arms, but I need to get them taken apart first.

I know some of you have put 70s axles into your XJs; how did you clean them up?

pb blaster for the studs and nuts

as far as the rest....doesnt matter for more than looks, get out the angle grinder and sand paper

Back