• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX people, please post up.

AJPulley

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to know who, besides 5-90 and myself are fairly familiar with and like the RENIX system on the MJs and older XJs. If you don't care for it, no need to post please.

Edit: I'm interested in those who feel they can diagnos the system with confidence and have a fair understanding of how it works.

Last edited:
langer1 said:
Count me in, why didn't you make this a poll question?
Well, I'm not looking for a count of those who own one or some sort of a statistical analysis. I'm compiling a list of those with some degree of knowledge of how it works and who can diagnose it with some confidence.

I feel a lot more confident troubleshooting my Renix than the 96. I managed to keep one going for 16 years or so (for the first few years the nearest help was in Paris) and another (really neglected 88 Renix) for the last 3 years (actually one the previous owner and the dealership gave up on). Getting them running again, never has been much of a problem. Getting them to run well (and idle) is a whole nother can of worms.
I've worked on quit a few at our local mud pit and for Jeepen buddies.
I already knew the motor pretty well from CJ's and the YJ's.

I'll toss my hat in the ring. I've fixed a lot of things that were just done wrong in my 87.
Nothing a decent DMM can't fix under the hood.

I feel I know my Renix system well enough.

'88 had since new, never seen the inside of a dealer or mechanics garage, I have done all service on her, I can say I know and have known the Renix system pretty itimately for a long time, those of us that have been on other forums for many years have seen or asked almost any question there could be about all the sensors. Its a good system when you understand it and if you need to modifiy parts of it it responds well. One thing the best things I did to my renix system I early on was to get rid of all the plastic vacumn lines and replace with the approcriate rubber lines and got rid of the redundency. This cleaned up the engine bay and I have never had a vacumn related problem And with18years and 363,+++ miles on her all I am doing is waiting for it to die to do the stroker... so far no end in sight.

Got a 90 since new. With this forum, I have kept it going. I also have a 92XJ and 97 GC all with the 4.0. I really don't have a preference of Renix on not. The symptoms of problems associated with sensors going bad are much the same. I do like the faster starting of the 97!

had 3 people on here that I have sucessfully resolved no starts with... completley redid my harness on my 1988 and have all OEM wiring diagrams... have yet to get omne i cant figure out over time

I've been decompiline the code for the Renix and configuring my laptop to link into the serial interface.

Although I complain about the idle and the EGR system sometimes, I really think that some parts of the RENIX system were better thought out than a lot of the OBD-I and II systems. I certainly don't consider myself an expert, but I've adjusted my fair share of TPSs and replaced my share of other sensors too.

I have rebuilt a total of three renix motors and can trouble shoot close to every problem.

My best up grade with renix is a renix cpu and wiring with a new HO motor?

I have a 88 XJ Pioneer 4.0 NP231. I have replaced every sensor to extend the life of my rig, figured buy they while they are still available. I even broke down and purchased a snap-on MT2500 tester so I could read the computer and figure out what is going on.

I love using the MT2500 to calibrate the Throttle positon sensor. I used the mulitmeter method and a few weeks later I had it into the dealer for work, the mechanic set the TPS to the right value. Since I got the tool I checked my TPS, along with several late 80s GM vehicles. I am sold on using it for TPS calibration.

I like the Renix system because it does use a knock sensor, lets you burn 87 octane with no problems. Count me in.

Idle issues? I don't have any. EGR system? Yeah - I'd have gotten rid of it if I didn't live in CA...

Tom - how's the decompiling project going? I've got a stripped RENIX ECU in my office, and I can offer you what assistance I can on the hardware end (it's got blown injector drivers.)

5-90

5-90 said:
EGR system? Yeah - I'd have gotten rid of it if I didn't live in CA...5-90
Yeah I'm actually going to get a 91+ header and block off the port on the intake manifold then rip the whole system out. Do you think it will have any negative effects if I do it 5-90?

AJPulley said:
I would like to know who, besides 5-90 and myself are fairly familiar with and like the RENIX system on the MJs and older XJs. If you don't care for it, no need to post please.

Edit: I'm interested in those who feel they can diagnos the system with confidence and have a fair understanding of how it works.

PM Midnightrunxj...he has had 9 or 10 of them.

Back