• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Upgrade

Roads

NAXJA Forum User
I want to convert my 27 spline 8.25 to 29 spline axle shafts, 4.56 gears, and a no-slip locker at the same time.

1. The locker will replace the spider gears?
2. If so the new axle shafts should slide right in, correct?
3. I've heard the axle shaft upgrade requires the carrier to be replaced. Is that true?
4. What else am I missing?
5. If I do the gears and locker without the axleshaft coversion will I have to buy a new locker later if I upgrade axleshafts?
6. Should I just keep the 27 spline shafts? It's a DD 90% street 10% trail.

I'm currently running 33's.

Last edited:
That being said, if I went detroit that would also replace the carrier right? That means Buy the 29 spline shafts and a detroit locker and it's all good? Then it comes to $200 for shafts plus another $150 extra for the detroit instead of the no-slip. That link was helpfull, but how is the 27 spline strength compared to the 29? 33's, 10% trail, and no rock crawling in Oregon.

I have read that a 27 spline carrier can be machined to accept 29 spline side gears or a 29 spline No-Slip. Has anybody actually done this? Anybody have a link to the actual procedure or the necessary dimensions?-------Hans

Oatmeal said:
I have read that a 27 spline carrier can be machined to accept 29 spline side gears or a 29 spline No-Slip. Has anybody actually done this? Anybody have a link to the actual procedure or the necessary dimensions?-------Hans

I believe that the spider gears for a 29 spliner will go into the 27 spliner carrier without no machining. Don't know about the no slip hardware.

12GaugeXJ said:
I believe that the spider gears for a 29 spliner will go into the 27 spliner carrier without no machining. Don't know about the no slip hardware.
Not according to all the knowledgeable people (no sarcasm intended) on this board------Hans

Matt98XJ said:
Just get the Detroit for the 29 spline 8.25, and the 29 spline shafts. Thats all you need.
x2
I have the detroit with Yukon shafts. The whole setup cost me about $850 in parts and shipping. All new bearings and seals ofcourse. I did the labor myself.

91 Jeep Project said:
No they won't, the journals do need to be enlarged. Offtopic, but if anyone needs one. I have a spare 29 spline open carrier laying around.
How much do you want for it? I live in So Cal so, it'll cost to have it shipped (duh!)-------Hans

Back