• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header

WARNING!

I've posted about this before. Common advice said the 91+ Banks would fit on a pre-HO motor. Only diff being the EGR/O2 bungs.

Not so. Banks would not fit under the intake manifold. Many $ lost shipping both ways. Bought the Borla, fits fine.

Shogun said:
WARNING!

I've posted about this before. Common advice said the 91+ Banks would fit on a pre-HO motor. Only diff being the EGR/O2 bungs.

Not so. Banks would not fit under the intake manifold. Many $ lost shipping both ways. Bought the Borla, fits fine.

Okayy, but I have an 88 with a renix motor, and a 91 parts jeep, and I was thinking of changing the headers, is it worth it?

Last edited:
I have 88 with a Borla, runs great but header was expensive. Ya gotta ask yourself, is it worth a few extra horsepower for $500 +?

Ok thanks for the info and no offence but thats not what I was asking guys, I was asking if the header from a stock HO engine is any better than the stock pre-'91 Renix header, its not like it'll be the only thing Im doing, Ill be putting a HO intake,throttle body,and higher flowing exhaust. Im just wondering if the HO header is any better.

Last edited:
I dont think it will fit, the exhaust manifold on pre-HO is a little different.

the ports are higher on the HO head. If you've got the whole motor then swap heads. The HO head flows a lot better than the Renix, it does change where the torque peak is though.
If you went to an HO head you'd have a lot more options regarding intakes, exhausts and throttle body stuff.

87manche said:
the ports are higher on the HO head. If you've got the whole motor then swap heads. The HO head flows a lot better than the Renix, it does change where the torque peak is though.
If you went to an HO head you'd have a lot more options regarding intakes, exhausts and throttle body stuff.

Ok thanks
I think I might do that because my engine is torn down right to the block so it'll be easier to change now. but just to make sure, your saying that the head is a direct swap?

yes, it will bolt directly on. You'll have to modify the renix TPS to fit the HO intake. THere are a few posts around here with links to a writeup on how to do it.
The head will bolt to your block without issue.
You will have to use the HO intake/exhaust manifold. You can delete the EGR system too, unless you have to have it to pass smog. If that's the case you'll have to have bungs welded into the manifolds for the EGR tube.
the search button is your friend, there's all sorts of info about it here.

87manche said:
yes, it will bolt directly on. You'll have to modify the renix TPS to fit the HO intake. THere are a few posts around here with links to a writeup on how to do it.
The head will bolt to your block without issue.
You will have to use the HO intake/exhaust manifold. You can delete the EGR system too, unless you have to have it to pass smog. If that's the case you'll have to have bungs welded into the manifolds for the EGR tube.
the search button is your friend, there's all sorts of info about it here.

Allright thanks.

Should I expect any type of power gain with all that plus a higher flowing exhaust?

Back