• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power door locks

LPELTON

NAXJA Forum User
Well here it goes, I have a 93 Jeep Cherokee, 4wd, stock. A few days ago the door locks quit working. Within a day the battery was dead. You could hear nothing when you hit the switch for unlock but when you hit the lock switch you can hear the lock relay kick in. Here comes the weird part. All relays appear good. While checking fuses I noticed that the 20 amp fuse sparked when I tried to put it back in. Also noticed that I heard something when I first put it in so I took it back out and began just touching the spades to the fuse holder and discovered that I could hear the door actuators trying to work. The unlock relay was also starting to get warm. If I hold the door switch to unlock and just touch the fuse to the fuse baox the actuators will open and close the locks a time or two before everything is back to the way it was and the locks stop working. My guess is that the "unlock" side is staying energized. Not sure why. I have disconnected both door switches while troubleshooting and believe they are good. The actuator behind the drivers seat has always been very slow. Is it possible it has shorted out and is "energizing" the unlock circuit? Any ideas would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks, Lee:shiver:

It's very possible that the wiring in the door looms of one or more doors is shorting out. The driver's door is most suspect only because it gets opened the most and also has the bulk of the wiring harness.

I had problems with my door locks and windows. I finnally pulled the carpet back on the drivers side and found that the wire harness that runs right in front of the seat was rotted out and shorting against the floorpan. I hear that this is common and is definitely worth checking out. In my case the floor pan was rusted through exposing the wires to everything that the tires could throw at them. I spliced all the wires and moved them closer to the firewall to get them out from under my feet. The engineers that thought running the wires under foot was a good idea should be shot. Good luck.

Paul

Thanks all. I found it. I hit the remote for the after market alarm by accident and the doors tried to open. I figured the problem was with the alarm. I pulled every fuse I could find and still had the same problem so I took up the drivers side carpet looking for a short. all the door wires were fine. Found another fuse hidden for the alarm (three of the damn things) so i pulled it. Problem solved. Door locks work great. I cut the door lock part of the alarm out on the spot. As soon as I get more time I will pull the entire thing. I did find a burnt out wire while I had the carpet up. It was to my power windows. I had spliced in a bypass years ago. I fixed it right this time. all is great. thanks for the help and advice.
Lee

Back