• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie Rod Ends. How many?

Dragline

NAXJA Forum User
One TRE at the driver's side, one where the tie rod connects to the drag link, one at the pitman arm. Is that all, or am I missing one or more?

The passenger side end of the drag link itself is a tie rod end, and I think the parts stores list this as a "tie rod end" because it has to be replaced as an assembly -- the end doesn't come off the drag link.

Auto Zone shows four, two "inner" and two "outer." But their designation of what's an inner and what's an outer is kind of counter-intuitive.

I was looking at AutoZone's site myself and it wasn't helping. Are you saying the TRE on the passenger side of the draglink can't be replaced by itself? Does the whole drag link need to be replaced? Anyway, I'm heading off to AutoZone now. They stay open 'til midnight on Saturdays now.

It's a '92. Advance Auto is the one that is open 'til Midnight. I didn't get the one on the passenger side knuckle, or the one at the pitman arm. I know the one at the pitman arm is OK, and the passenger side at the knuckle was crazy expensive. I know the other two are worn out for sure.

Whichever. To be perfectly blunt, I just don't care - I only go to "chain" stores for stuff they can't screw up. Having wasted time behind hte counter in one, I've got a pretty good idea what sort of droids they hire, and I'm amazed they made it past primary education...

They're the same from 1991 to 2001, for 4WD...
Tie Rod End, Drag Link to Right Knuckle (DS1238)
Tie Rod End, Drag Link Adjusting Sleeve (ES2079S)
Tie Rod End, Drag Link to Pitman Arm (ES3096L)
Tie Rod End, Steering Arm to Drag Link (ES3095R)
Tie Rod End, Steering Arm to Left Knuckle (ES3094L)
Tie Rod End, Steering Arm Adjusting Sleeve (DS1045S)

You should not need the sleeves, but they're included for the sake of completion. Those numbers were checked three times when I took them from the Moog book, so if they're wrong, it's because Moog screwed up (which has happened to me maybe once in 20 years...)

5-90

All tie rod ends should be replaced at the same time. They have all seen the same amount of use!

And you are right the right outer tie rod must be made of gold. $100+ dollars. WOW.:shocked:

What size and thread count are the tie rod ends on the cherokee. I want to make a new steering system, and need to know the tap size I need.

I think all the ends are the same, but I am mostly concerned about the pitman arm ball joint.

There is, I believe, a slight taper to the shank that goes through the arm/knuckle - apart from that, you can use any thread that will fit (although I'm thinking it's something in the 7/16" - 9/16" range.)

You'll either want to make sure the shanks on your fab work are tapered the same amount - akin to "draft" on a die/mould, they'll help you pop the thing back out later,) or ream out the holes to take a straight shank - and make sure you use never-seez on the SHANK ONLY so it will break free easily (I do the same with OEM tapered shanks as well.)

Someone else here may know the amount of taper - I haven't measured it yet.

Apart from that, I'd be inclined to use a fine pitch thread on the ends, since they're threading into nuts, rather than castings. You'll get a stronger join that way.

5-90

XJLaredo said:
All tie rod ends should be replaced at the same time. They have all seen the same amount of use!

And you are right the right outer tie rod must be made of gold. $100+ dollars. WOW.:shocked:
The right side outer tie rod "end" IS the drag link. No, it does not have a replaceable end.

Back