• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cadillac Escalade master cylinder

xjbubba

NAXJA Member # 1524
While searching for a larger, but not too large, master cylinder to upgrade '95 & latter XJ/ZJ/WJ brakes, I found that the 1999/2000 Cadillac Escalade used a 1.125 master cylinder. Anyone have input regarding using one? Know if it will bolt up to the late Jeep booster?

The E350 MC's piston size is too large (1.25) for the calipers I'm using: Chevy 1/2-ton front and small Caddy Eldorado rears. Also, the E350 is meant for front disc/rear drum brake set ups. The corvette MC is the right piston size for me, and is a 4-wheel disc unit, but it won't (as far as I know) fit a late model Jeep ('95-'96) dual diaphragm booster.

I will go and check out my escalades mc in a few min. and let ya know.

Appreciate the effort BUCKY--when I get time, I'll try to determine the feasibility of swapping in the Escalade or Chevy K1500 booster/MC combo. Looking at pictures of the '96 XJ and 2000 Escalade MC's, it appears the Cad/Chevy MC wouldn't work on the Jeep booster. I think the Escalades booster is 10-3/4 vs the Jeep's 8-3/4--so it would be tight fit into an XJ.

Well, as always, things are so close to fitting, you just know it'll work with a "little" fabing. Looks like you could squeeze in a booster that's about 2" larger OA (Escalade)--the clutch master cylinder is the obstacle to overcome--at "first blush"--as they say. Of course, things like booster to brake pedal angles/lengths are still undetermined. But you could always shorten/lengthen that too.
Sure be great to get some input on the feasibility of using the Jeep 1" MC and bigger front caliper volume.

also if it is working properly with disc all around you shouldn't need a bigger mc. just my .02
Mine would lock up all 54 wheels when I was running 36s.

BUCKYXJ said:
also if it is working properly with disc all around you shouldn't need a bigger mc. just my .02
Mine would lock up all 54 wheels when I was running 36s.

Wow, brakes that well to lock up 54 wheels! That must be one very long XJ you have there. ;) Lets see, 27 pairs at 36" each and even without gaps, that would make it 81 feet long! :)

So Buckyxj, with stock (YR?) xj brakes--D30 disc front/drum rears, you can lock up 36's? When I installed the rear discs, I experienced the classical pedal to the floor before getting enough pressure to stop 33's. Upgraded the MC 1/16 without a whole lot of noticeable change. Now i'm pretty sure I have never set up the rear brakes properly (Caddy metric calipers with e-brake). But still, the pedal moves way too far before stopping--actually press on the accelerator some times! If I had an automatic, along with my best crawl ratio, I'd be burning rubber instead of stopping. Now that I've increased the size of the front calipers, pedal movement before braking is not acceptable. All classic signs of undersized MC.

Back