• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Seats

hippymill said:
yes. bolt in. you can also use grand cherokee seats.
???

What year did the brackets change? I thought it was 95 or 96. I don't think 96 seats are a bolt-in for a 93 chassis.

Eagle said:
???

What year did the brackets change? I thought it was 95 or 96. I don't think 96 seats are a bolt-in for a 93 chassis.

Sorry to say, Eagle, you are correct. The change was in either 94 or 95. The 93 seats are the old type, and the 95 are a different type with a different mounting. I would have loved to retrofit my 95 with the better grade of early seats. I think it would be even hardet to move the seats from a later model to an earlier one, because they're wider.

I believe that '94 had the old seats, and '95 had the new. My son's '95 hat the new, and we had to replace them (former cop car, driver's seat was flattened. Too many donuts???). We put in a nice set from late '80's Laredo. I made a template out of 1/4" plywood by tracing a seat pedestal, and using this to drill the holes in the floor. If you can, take a look under an older one, as the outboard holes go thru the flange on the 'frame rails' for strength, and use strong enough bolts, so the seat will remain anchored in the event of an accident. Just push the template as far foreward on the floorpan as the crossmember ('95 and later, all ZJ's) will allow, and the seat will be within an inch or two of where it belongs. Hope this helps anyone contemplating this swap.

The 95'+ XJ seats have mounting like the Grand Cherokee seats with the seat bolting on a box bar rather than bolting straight flat to the floor 84-94'. You can quickly see the XJs that have the new mounting by the air bag equiped steering wheel.

how dificult is it to swap a new seat or grand cherokee seat into, say, my 93 XJ? or is it even plausible to think about doing so? Making/modifying brackets is a possiblity, but as far as dimensions how would it work? I know my parents were looking into getting my brother a new(er) XJ and when he sat in it he felt very confined, while he can sit in mine no problem, so it seems the older ones had more room, so size doesnt seem like an issue (although i cant be quoted on this scientific fact that my massive brother feels more comfortable in mine). Im just curious cause my driver seat braket/seat is broken... has been since I bought the Jeep, and I am finally thinking about fixign it and an upgrade to a nicer seat would be awesome. Only issue here is my XJ is a 2 dr. so either I keep XJ seats or I only replace hte drivers side with a more comfy version. :D One the same note... I had looked around at the aftermarket seats, but I couldnt find a bracket for any of the seats, or a fold-forward type seat itself, for use in a 2 dr. What do people usually do or could someone point me in the right direction?

I myself have a 93 xj and a 97 xj.
The newer XJ's are very confined due to the thicker door paneling that sticks out and touches your left leg when driving and the shitty cheapass seats themselves.
I like the older style myself ( 93 laredo), much more comfortable and ergonomic all around, seats and space.
I have been currently thinking about retro fitting the older seats to my 97. Ill just have to get the seatbelt recievers and bolt them in like the 93. Ill keep both bolt patterns on the floor if i can. And just drill holes with plates underneath the body if i have to and bolt the bastards in.

themangeraaad said:
how dificult is it to swap a new seat or grand cherokee seat into, say, my 93 XJ? or is it even plausible to think about doing so? Making/modifying brackets is a possiblity, but as far as dimensions how would it work? I know my parents were looking into getting my brother a new(er) XJ and when he sat in it he felt very confined, while he can sit in mine no problem, so it seems the older ones had more room, so size doesnt seem like an issue (although i cant be quoted on this scientific fact that my massive brother feels more comfortable in mine). Im just curious cause my driver seat braket/seat is broken... has been since I bought the Jeep, and I am finally thinking about fixign it and an upgrade to a nicer seat would be awesome. Only issue here is my XJ is a 2 dr. so either I keep XJ seats or I only replace hte drivers side with a more comfy version. :D One the same note... I had looked around at the aftermarket seats, but I couldnt find a bracket for any of the seats, or a fold-forward type seat itself, for use in a 2 dr. What do people usually do or could someone point me in the right direction?
Heres my 95 2dr w/ Corbeau's
http://hometown.aol.com/rpayne9421/page5.html
0603997-r1-036-16a.jpg

Back