• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chrysler 8.25

chopperdog

NAXJA Forum User
OK OK I tried searching but still do not know. How do I tell if I have either a 27 or 29 spline axle in my Jeep?
It is a 1998 cherokee limited with the 8.25. It also has the 242 t case. I am shopping for a good yet somewhat cheap locker for the rear.
Any info would be great.
Thankyou

Its a 29 spline,that change was somewhere in 96!

theres NOTHING cheap for the 8.25...not just lockers :(
i paid some $40 for ubolts for mine!

youll save money over the long run (on all kinds of parts) if you just swap in a 44
try to find one at a decent price and do the math...thats what i would do if i were you

Thanks for all the input, $4oo looks about right, Is it worth it?
I really dont want to change out the whole rear. Daily driver and mild offroading.
I have already installed R.E. 3.5 all spring lift
31 BFG AT's
Tomken rear bump with carrier
soon front reciever { tow point }
This group is the SH******t
Thanks again

In my search for an affordable locker for my 8.25, I noticed that Rocky Road outfitters has powertrax lockrights for 295 and no-slips for 375. I ended up with a detroit trutrac from 4 wheel parts for about 430 shipped. While it isn't as good as a true locker, it did seem better than a standard limited slip and tractech told me it should handle up to a 38" tire.

Keep shopping around. There are some reasonable prices for 8.25 parts and unless you're going bigger than 33s you might want to consider keeping it.

The 29 spline 8.25 is a great wheeling axle.
I've been through probably 10 front shafts and not even one stock 8.25 shaft.
I was planning to upgrade to Dutchmans, but I haven't needed to!?!?
My spares have worn a groove into the bottom of my bedbox.
I'm very happy with mine.

tealcherokee said:
ummm....if you put 38's on a 8.25 your in for issues......

I agree. I'm pretty sure the tractech dude was just trying to drive home how strong the new design of the trutrac is.

Back