• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone built a steering box brace?

xj4life

NAXJA Forum User
I need one bad, like the ones Rustys sells, but dont have the $$ to order one. Any ideas/suggestions? What did you use for the clamp around the steering box?

jbxj75_02.jpg

XJ_ranger said:
there are better braces out there IMO...

http://www.c-rok.com/sb.html

I've already got the c-rok inner plate and 1/4" plate on the outside from my bumper mounting. last summer i ripped one of the bolts out of the box and i know the Rustys brace would have prevented that.

I home fabbed one way back when...an exhaust clamp of the correct size works nicely (you will need to grind the rib down slightly for the clamp to fit), with a length of pipe or tube welded to the saddle, running across to the other side of the rig. Make a plate which fits under the sway bar mount on that side to weld the pipe/tube to on that side.

It wasn't ideal, but it worked without to much effort.

bobnoxious said:
Nice write-up. It was your write-up that made me get out there and make one for myself;-)

Good to hear. To build rather than buy is best. ;)

I basically took some CRok plates and copied them. I made them out of 1/4". Worked great. I made a cardboard template and just cut them with a band saw. I drilled out the holes, and made spacers for the inner plate. IIRC, the spacers were 1" solid round stock and I drilled a 1"2" hole in the center of them, and welded them on.

I have a Rusty's SBB to put on sometime to compliment the CRok copies. I don't think I should have to worry about it really with my massive 30" tires.:shocked:

somebody i know made one using exhaust clamp and some tube.
190IM000646-med.JPG

granted it could be braced and the other end good be a bit better but hey it was all in the garage just sitting there

Back