• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vent window adjustment

davehoose

NAXJA Forum User
I have the 89 laredo with vent windows. The passenger side works great, but the driver side flaps in the breeze! Any clues on how to tighten this thing up? Unfortunately I'm a smoker and would like to cure this.

what is it you want to cure? The smoking habit or the window flapping.Not to be a smart ass but I just quit after 25-30 years of puffin away. It's hard but I just went cold turkey (a case of the flu helped matters).I have not killed anybody yet or started using herion and the wife thinks it's great! Think of the money you would have to put into your XJ! Me, my vent is fixed so I can't help you on that. Good luck either way.

If the window flaps in the breeze in the sense that it no longer resists turning, it's probably toast. The correct stiffness in the window is produced by a spring in the bottom pivot. When the mechanism rusts, the pivot resists rotation too much and either breaks or comes loose where it is staked into the bottom frame of the glass. Look at yours, and I'll bet you will see that the bottom pivot post is standing still and the frame is turning on it, where it should be turning the post. You might be able to open the whole thing up and loosen the pivot spring, etc. but your problem would be reattaching the pivot to the frame without damaging the glass. I don't think you can weld or braze it, and I doubt any kind of adhesive would work, and you can't safely remove the glass from its frame - it's very tight. I have puzzled over this in the past, and ended up replacing the window.

Klonestar, if your window is becoming very stiff, I suggest you promptly get in there, remove the window and service the bottom pivot before it breaks. If you take out the window you'll see at a glance how it's put together. The bottom post goes down through the frame, and has a nut at the end, which holds a rather stiff cooil spring for tension. You can take that all apart and lube it and reset the tension to taste. If you wait too long and the pivot becomes unstaked from the glass frame you're out of luck.

Back