• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 brake line junction

jeepnuts311

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

just bought a dana 44 from an 88 XJ and it is in excellent condition, but i havent gotten around to swapping yet.

somewhere along the line, the junction where the soft brake line joins the hard brake lines on the axle came off of its mount there is a hole in the axle where it should bolt to, and i am assuming it is just a small bolt that holds the junction to the axle tube. i have a few questions regarding this...

1. can i use the bolt from the junction on my d35 to replace the one thats missing on the 44?

2. will diff fluid leak out of the hole if i dont bolt the junction back to the axle tube.

3. are the hard brake lines very flexible, because the junction is a few inches away from the hole, i guess is bent during shipping and i dont want to crack the lines

thanks!
-tim

On my 44, the vent was separate from the t-block.The bolt was like a 1/4-20 and the grommeted vent was about 5/16".

jeepnuts311 said:
hey all,

just bought a dana 44 from an 88 XJ and it is in excellent condition, but i havent gotten around to swapping yet.

somewhere along the line, the junction where the soft brake line joins the hard brake lines on the axle came off of its mount there is a hole in the axle where it should bolt to, and i am assuming it is just a small bolt that holds the junction to the axle tube. i have a few questions regarding this...

1. can i use the bolt from the junction on my d35 to replace the one thats missing on the 44?

2. will diff fluid leak out of the hole if i dont bolt the junction back to the axle tube.

3. are the hard brake lines very flexible, because the junction is a few inches away from the hole, i guess is bent during shipping and i dont want to crack the lines

thanks!
-tim
I just swapped my 87 35 for an 87 44. Yes, you can use that bolt to re-mount the brake line T-block. I'm sure it will be a metric thread. Try removing one of the bolts that secure the bracket that holds down the line on the other side. I thought the looked nearly the same thread size. If it is, then you can take it to a parts store and find a longer one. No, fluid won't necessarily leak out; however, you will be allowing road grime, sand, grit, dirt and water to enter. The lines can be re-bent if you are careful. Use your thumbs to help support where it bends so you don't kink it. Slow and gradual bending.

Before you toss your 35, I see your is an 88 35, there are some odd brake parts that aren't easily found at the store- like the parking brake strut, and it's spring. They fit both axles.

AJPulley said:
I just swapped my 87 35 for an 87 44. Yes, you can use that bolt to re-mount the brake line T-block. I'm sure it will be a metric thread. Try removing one of the bolts that secure the bracket that holds down the line on the other side. I thought the looked nearly the same thread size. If it is, then you can take it to a parts store and find a longer one. No, fluid won't necessarily leak out; however, you will be allowing road grime, sand, grit, dirt and water to enter. The lines can be re-bent if you are careful. Use your thumbs to help support where it bends so you don't kink it. Slow and gradual bending.

Before you toss your 35, I see your is an 88 35, there are some odd brake parts that aren't easily found at the store- like the parking brake strut, and it's spring. They fit both axles.

thanks a lot for the info, my 35 is in a 1990, the 44 is an 88. the 35 brake parts fit the 44 even tho the drum on the 44 is 1" bigger?

-tim

jeepnuts311 said:
thanks a lot for the info, my 35 is in a 1990, the 44 is an 88. the 35 brake parts fit the 44 even tho the drum on the 44 is 1" bigger?

-tim
The 10x2.5" brake parts do not interchange with the other brakes.

That's right. Look at when you buy a hardware kit for the 44 or 35. It's the same kit, and it comes with four extra hold down pins that are longer/shorter depending on which you're using it for.

The parking brake strut is the horizontal flat bar that spreads the shoes when you apply the parking brakes. Same bar for both axles. Same spring on the end of that bar. Only, that spring is getting hard to find. The self adjuster, the adjuster cable, the cable guide... all the same. The shoes are the same arch (10x1.75 vs 10x2.5), but different width, so anything pertaining to width is different, like drums, hold down pins, shoes, am I forgetting anything?

Last edited:
The parking brake strut and spring are not the same.I took out a 35 and replaced it with a 44.Had a really hard time finding 1 strut and went thru every fricken spring catalog till I gave up and found one that was close(I had to round off the edges for the slightly smaller diameter spring).

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
The parking brake strut and spring are not the same.I took out a 35 and replaced it with a 44.Had a really hard time finding 1 strut and went thru every fricken spring catalog till I gave up and found one that was close(I had to round off the edges for the slightly smaller diameter spring).
Well, you're right partially and so am I partially. I looked on Jeep part's CD. 87-89 was the same. But, there are differant part numbers for the 90. My strut part number is 8350 4372 for both the 44 and the 35. Your part number is 4313 078. Same senareo with the springs.

My appologies, forget what I wrote if you don't have the early 35.

Back