• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Diff Covers

FiFo

NAXJA Forum User
This morning I noticed that I managed to put a nice big dent in my rear Dana 44 Diff Cover so its time to upgrade. I was looking at the TKH Fab "Rock Hard" Diff covers here:

http://www.tkhfab.com/

They look good, and the price is not too bad. Does anyone have any experience with these, or know of any other brands they could suggest. I need one for a Dana 30 and Dana 44. Going to do both since if I busted the rear I'm sure I will just bust the front one later.

They look "cheesy",based off the thin stock mounting face!
Dana30cover.jpg

"cheesy" doesn't sound like a very flattering description. I would like to get as strong as possible, with out spending an arm and a leg. (Impossible I know). Does anyone know if these are truly “cheesy” or have any better suggestions?

hippymill said:
bulletproof = Crane or Rockcrusher.
or
stock cover + a diff guard like the ones by 4 x doctor

Crane is good to go,:thumbup: Cro-Mo good luck trying to break it & there is no lip to peal back & leak

Rob $.02

Matt98XJ said:
Blue Torch Fab makes some pretty beefy covers too...
I got mine from them, not that bad a price either and it is hella beefy.

Go on ebay and look for a cover called the dominator, or something like that (shows a picture of an excavator pushing down on it with the bucket).
They're made by a guy on Pirate.
This thing redefines overkill.

The outer ring is 1/2" plate, the rest of it is 1/4" plate.
I opted for the countersunk bolt holes and the additional 1/2" plate ring gear guard. (yea, 1/2" plate on top of the 1/4" plate).
Workmanship is beautiful.

Edit:
I just found the receipt.
Great Lake Offroad
Butler, IN
(260) 387-1428

Last edited:
kid4lyf said:
Go on ebay and look for a cover called the dominator, or something like that (shows a picture of an excavator pushing down on it with the bucket).

I opted for the countersunk bolt holes and the additional 1/2" plate ring gear guard. (yea, 1/2" plate on top of the 1/4" plate).

Edit:
Great Lake Offroad
Butler, IN
(260) 387-1428

Another vote for these.My buddy has a set on his Scout-- VERY beefy.

kid4lyf said:

Edit:
Great Lake Offroad
Butler, IN
(260) 387-1428
That actually is the one I have too. I just couldn't recall the name of the company at the time. I think I paid around $140 for it.

When looking for a Diff cover thickness is not everything. If the cover is made of 1020 mild 1/2" may be weaker than a cover made of A50 Steel Plate in 3/8". A50 Plate is 50,000lbs Tensile Strength, that results in a cover that is much denser than mild steel and can take a great deal more abuse.

All of our covers and rings are made of A50 Steel Plate, laser cut and formed from 1 piece, and they are all welded by a certified welder. There are many tricks to make things cheaper, we use only one, we manufacture in volume and pass the savings on to the customer.Compare our prices.

pretty sure that the different steels are not much different in density...perhaps yield strength, or ultimate tensile strength, but not density...1/4" is fine...if you're hitting something that will bend a concave 1/4" steel dome...you have other things to worry about.

i say buy a nice one for the front, cuz you have a better chance of hitting it, and get a front 44 cover for your rear, the front covers are 3/16" as opposed to the rear sheetmetal ones

kid4lyf said:

Edit:
Great Lake Offroad
Butler, IN
(260) 387-1428
I kinda like this design, Dude......:D:thumbup:

is.php

Back