• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'88XJ D44 rear 5 on 5.5 rotors

xjbubba

NAXJA Member # 1524
Think I found a set of rotors to convert my rear D44 to 5 on 5.5. I needed something that would work with the small Caddy rear calipers. The part number is Raybestos 66438--'94 Ford F150 pickup. They measure 1.018 thick X 11.7 over all. Offset is 1.813 (If I know how to measure it??). Hat ID is 6-9/16., which just fits my new Alloyusa axles (6.5 flange OD).
But as always, there is a hitch. The hub pilot ID on the rotor is 3.870, while the axle hub pilot is 2.825. Also, the lug holes measure .675 vs lug OD of 1/2. So, how do I get the rotor centered? My first approach would be bushings for the lugs--that would be pretty easy. Second, I could have a "centering" ring machined to lightly press onto the axle pilot to make it equal the rotors pilot ID. Any one with experience doing this? Big deal? What approach did you take, and what problems did you have with the results?
Appreciate any input or thoughts.

No experience with this problem, but I would suggest machining a centering ring, rather than relying on the lugs to keep the rotor centered. I say this because this is how the drum is centered, and the holes for the lugs are always a little larger than the actual lug....because they don't do the centering for the rotor/drum.

Use digital calipers ofcourse (looks like you probalby already have em) and give the specs to a machine shop, and tell them that you want a slip fit. Have them chamfer the edges too.

just my oppinion.

Thanks for the input--consences is a centering ring for the hub--not to use bushings on the lugs.

Back