• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing a standard instrument cluster for one with tachometer

schmiedel

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1988 Cherokee Pioneer with the standard instrument cluster (without the tachometer). I would like to buy the one with tachometer from a junkyard, but I don't know if I will be able to connect it painlessly.

I believe all the instruments (sppedometer, odometer, fuel, temp and voltage) will work fine, but how about the tachometer? Will I get it working or do I need something esle to make the adaptation?

I could also buy a 30-50USD external tachometeer, but the OEM one will certainly give a better look.

By the way, I don't have the stupid idiot lights, I have gauges, but the large fuel gauge instead of the tachometer. My question is if I can do a direct swap to get everything working (assuming I get a cluster from a 1988 XJ that has the tacho).

Regards

Last edited:
You can use any cluster you'd like - from 1987 to 1990. If you already have the gages (you said you did,) you don't even have to swap sensors - just swap gage clusters. The wiring for the tach is already in place, and the signal is provided by the ignition controller.

I've done this swap a couple times to go from speedo/fuel gage/idiot lights to a full cluster, and the most I've had to do is replace the oil pressure and engine coolant sensors. You shouldn't even have to do that much.

When you get your old cluster out, I'd like to talk to you. I need a couple I can take to bits for a couple mods I'm working on...

5-90

Well,

Thanks for the advice, I was just wondering about the tachometer, wasn't sure it'll work, but if it's that easy, I'll see the way to buy this unit ASAP.

I could send you my old instrument panel, however I live in Mexico, shipping could cost up to 25USD, if you're interested we can talk later about it.

I've done it also. Worked great for me! Just bought a used 87-90 gauge cluster on ebay. Then I bought the new oil pressure sender and coolant sender, as the old ones are apparently just "on-off" type senders.

Only problem I ever had was my RPM would occasionally get messed up, and the voltage always showed too low.. but my jeep has wiring problems that are probably causing it.

The RENIX voltmeter is a notorious liar - it's better to be considered a "relative state of charge" indicator than an actual voltmeter. Back-check it with a known good (read: diagnostic) voltmeter of some sort, and maybe mark the gage face so you'll know if you're undercharging or not.

Apart from that, you should be fine - your tach issues are probably due to a loose connection somewhere. Does the tach just drop to ZERO every now and again, or does it do something else?

5-90

OK, that's great news. I'm still waiting for some answers on ebay items, They are not so expensive, 60USD from some Ebay Store, and bids starting at only 5USD, I'll see what I can get...

Thank you all for your comments.

Understandable - I can cover shipping (I'd planned to anyhow.) Just tell customs that it's non-functional parts, and it should go through OK. I've gotten parts from O/S that way before (some of them actually were non-functional, and all of them were slated for the lab anyhow.)

As long as you stay with the RENIX control setup, you should be fine - that means 1987-1990 with I4 or I6, and (maybe!) the 1984-1986 I4. I can't swear to that last, but I know the 1987-1990 stuff will work, and it doesn't matter what engine (my 1987 I6 got a 1988 I4 instrument cluster, and it runs just fine.) The reason for that is that the tach works off of a wave signal generated by the ignition controller/ecm, and therefore responds to a frequency rather than an actual count - which makes life a little easier for gage swaps.

If you PM me when you get the swap done, we can work out the details after.

5-90

On my '87 I had a regular guage cluster, picked up a tach cluster at a pick & pull for 30 bones. It plugged right in and the tach & guages work fine, except that when I go into 4WD the "Full Time" indicator illuminates on the dash - and I don't have full time. And yeah the voltmeter reads way low but the original one did too.

I was lucky and had the right speedo cable on mine but when you get a cluster you can take the short cable with it just to be sure - but it looks like it would be a pain to get back in behind those dash mounts where it hooks up.

XJ88User said:
Easy, i did mine just make sure you have the right sending units before you begin, or have another vehical to run around with. My water temp unit was a PITA to get in as it hit something inside the head or block (i have no clue never had this apart yet)but with some effort it went in.

Andy
He already has gauges, so he has all the correct senders. Literally, for this person the swap is complete plug-and-play. However, I will disagree with 5-90. The change in the way the speedometer cable fits to the speedometer head was made mid-year during 1987 production. A cluster from an early 1987 will probably have the wrong speedometer. The solution, of course, would be to use the original speedometer in the new cluster with the tachmometer.

The '88 cluster has a speedo cable ending in a white nylon pinch connector that attaches to the speedo and snaps off without tools. The 84 thru mid-87 used a metal retainer with a phillips head screw.

My 87 must be late-year production, then - all four of my XJs, I know, have the white Nylon clip.

Honestly, I didn't know there was a change prior to the RENIX setup - although I'd somehow figured there was either a change between the 1986 and 1987 electronics, or a change specifically for the GM V6/60 used until 1986. Thank you for clarifying the fact of the speedo cable change - any thoughts on the other curiousity?

5-90

The swap is made a lot easier if you get additional slack in the speedometer drive cable. It is fixed to a stud underneath the body on the drivers side.
It is only held on with a friction washer, pop off the washer, slide the cable clamp off the stud and you have plenty of slack to work with. Loosen all the screws that hold in the instrument panel and push on the speedo cable from the engine bay to free up the panel, keeps you from screwing up the white nylon clip on the end of the cable.

I just did the swap and somehow the cable came loose. Where do I have to check to reconnect it?

And, the tachometer is just like crazy, it keps jumping around 1000rpm and when I drive maybe up to 2000rpm, but it just doesn't work as it should. Could the signal be the issue or should I be suspecting it to be the cluster?

I just got a 93' xj and I HATE the instrument cluster with a passion! has the huge gas meter, a light that tells u ur running hot when it's prob already too late, and i don't even know what the light under that is! it's never turned on before. well u get the point. anyways, is the 93' any different or more difficult to swap? or even possible?

i had the exact problem with my 96 xj. no tac, and there was no temp gauge, just some stupid light that comes on. kept "overheating" so i bought a used cluster on ebay, and my mechanic was cool enough to fix the mileage and everything.
tac works great, along with all the other gauges.
spedometer is a little sticky, if i get to 35 and then slow down it'll stay at 35, then flop down once i'm stopped. but that might just be mine.

good luck with the switch

rooster87 said:
I just got a 93' xj and I HATE the instrument cluster with a passion! has the huge gas meter, a light that tells u ur running hot when it's prob already too late, and i don't even know what the light under that is! it's never turned on before. well u get the point. anyways, is the 93' any different or more difficult to swap? or even possible?

Should be a bit easier in my opinion, you just have the electrical plug to deal with, not the speedometer cable. 1991-1996 IIRC are the interchangeable years for you. I love mine but the trip meter won't reset. Anyone know how to take these things apart to fix?

Back