• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C8.25 OEM Trac-Loc Quality

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone with the Chrysler 8.25 Trac Loc in a 27 spline?? How does it perform?

I know it's not an ARB or a Detroit but I have access to a brand new one and am wondering if I should spend $200 for a new one in the box?

Comments please. $$$$ is a factor so do I get $200 of value for this thing?

You didnt wait very long for a response. It's the middle of the day, people are at work, and the topic is well .. not very interesting.

I would not spend $200 to buy a traclock. The clutches do not last that long, 17-30 thousand miles, depending who you talk to. If you actually go offroad and start spinning one wheel, you can burn the clutches up in a single trip. For that $200 you could buy a stronger rear end (29 spline or d44) or buy an aussie/lockrite.

I had a Limited Slip in my Ford Ranger and have Trac-Loc in my XJ's D35 and my CJ7's AMC20. They work ok and with proper maintenance will last at least 70,000 miles. The CJ has 120,000 miles and works when it feels like it. Remember you will have to have the gears reset because you will be replacing the complete carrier. I would take the $200 and the gear install money and get a lunchbox type locker and put it in yourself. I have a LockRight in my CJ D30 and a Powertrax NoSlip in my XJ D30. Both are quiet and work great.

cal said:
I would not spend $200 to buy a traclock. The clutches do not last that long, 17-30 thousand miles, depending who you talk to.
I call SPOBI.

The original Trac-Lok in my '88 lasted about 125,000 miles. A buddy who is retired from the dealership where I bought the vehicle shimmed it, and it went to a bit over 160,000. I replaced it at 175,000. I'm now at 254,000+ with the second unit in place and working fine.

I suppose if you try REALLY hard you can wipe out a Trac-Lok in 30,000 miles ... but you have to be really trying.

Back